Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweetmeat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
So I just bought a new iPhone 5s with version 9.2.1 to use on Straight Talk's network. This phone is not an AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint phone - it's a Straight Talk phone, so right now I can only use it on the Straight Talk network (unless I somehow unlocked it).

I don't currently have the phone active on Straight Talk because I'm still using my old phone (also an iPhone 5s, which has 9.3.2 and I know a jailbreak for that version doesn't exist).

I was thinking about jailbreaking the new phone, because I'm pretty sure there's a 9.2.1 jailbreak.

Here's my question.

Should I wait to jailbreak until the phone is active on Straight Talk, or should I jailbreak now, or does it even matter? When I say jailbreak, I truly mean jailbreak as I don't care right now about unlocking it.

If I do jailbreak it, is there a chance that I wouldn't be able to use it on Straight Talk's network? I don't think many people are using Straight Talk, which is why I'm a little concerned.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So I just bought a new iPhone 5s with version 9.2.1 to use on Straight Talk's network. This phone is not an AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint phone - it's a Straight Talk phone, so right now I can only use it on the Straight Talk network (unless I somehow unlocked it).

I don't currently have the phone active on Straight Talk because I'm still using my old phone (also an iPhone 5s, which has 9.3.2 and I know a jailbreak for that version doesn't exist).

I was thinking about jailbreaking the new phone, because I'm pretty sure there's a 9.2.1 jailbreak.

Here's my question.

Should I wait to jailbreak until the phone is active on Straight Talk, or should I jailbreak now, or does it even matter? When I say jailbreak, I truly mean jailbreak as I don't care right now about unlocking it.

If I do jailbreak it, is there a chance that I wouldn't be able to use it on Straight Talk's network? I don't think many people are using Straight Talk, which is why I'm a little concerned.
You are a little confused, but it's good you're asking questions.

1. iOS 9.1 is the last jailbreakable firmware and it's only for 64-bit devices (5s and above).
2. I suspect you are asking these questions because you want to jailbreak in order to unlock your phone. The problem with that is that software unlocks have not been available for jailbroken iPhones in years and the last iPhone they worked on was the 4s.

So, you cannot jailbreak to unlock. And even if you could there is nothing available via jailbreak to unlock your phone.

Sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.