Jailbreak Advice / Help Required (Cydia Crashing, TMobile Setup, etc)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Raze625, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Raze625 macrumors newbie

Alright, so, first off, let me lead with just how clueless I am; I'm confused as to whether I should post this thread here, or in iPhone hacks.

Regardless, here's some back story.

Okay, so, I bought the iPhone 4 about three months ago, give or take, don't quote me on that. Anyhow, when I bought that, I planned on giving my old 3G to my girlfriend to replace hers, which is on a T-Mobile Data plan (already cracked and hacked, hers was. Cracked being literally, the screen was broken). I'd only downloaded updates and apps for my 3g, no jailbreaking or unlocking of any sort. Anyhow, I set off on the task of jailbreaking it for her. Unfortunately, I updated to iOS 4.1 on the thing. I spent the next month swearing at myself and biding my time until I finally had spare time to get it working for her.

Skip to present day.

Found PwnageTool, starting the process.

Through numerous guides, including one on this forum, I got the Customized Restore file taken care of. Sent the bad boy into DFU mode, Option-Click'd the restore to use my Custom Restore instead of big bad Steve's. Went all well and fine, but now that it's all seemingly said and done, I don't notice a difference at all. THe only thing that's new is the Cydia app. But there's the rub; Cydia keeps crashing, almost instantly. Touch the icon, it fakes wanting to load, and about a second or two later, just goes straight back to home screen.

So, bottom line, here's the questions I need answered, and I DO in fact realize how ignorant I seem / am.

(Pardon the language) Why the hell did I just spend two hours downloading a broken Cydia App?

What should be different, and apparently isn't?

How do I fix the Cydia App?

How do I get the phone working with my lady friend's SIM Card?

All responses appreciated.

2. Raze625 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

51 views and no advice? C'mon now.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That may be because it is hard to understand what you are really asking...

Why the hell did I just spend two hours downloading a broken Cydia App? Not way to know what YOU do things, but this is a free country and people can do whatever they want.

What should be different, and apparently isn't?

Yes it is different, Cydia works well for pretty much 99% of the people who jailbreak, your case may be special (something else is going wrong).

How do I fix the Cydia App? You don't provide enough information for anyone to make a intelligent guess of what is going wrong, ii Cydia crash, them a Clean DFU restore and re jailbreak may be the way to go.

How do I get the phone working with my lady friend's SIM Card?

Sound like you updated to 4.1 using itunes, you got a new baseband that is not currently possible to unlock (and there is a chance that it will never be). You have to wait for someone to release an unlock.

4. Raze625 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I appreciate the response. I'm on my iPhone ATM, so I can't post the logs from my laptop, but I shall do so asap.

5. megadon macrumors 6502

do you need to be unlocked from your carrier? if not, try restoring it and using limera1n