Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Hey guys.

I was given an iPhone 3G from a friend. The top button is broken, and the wifi does not work. But, heck. It was free! :D!

Too bad its for T-Mobile, and I am on Rogers Canada.

So. When I first got this phone, it was at 4.2.1. I erased all settings and somehow restored to 3.1.3 through itunes.

Now...

How do I unlock (and jailbreak) my iPhone 3g that is on 3.1.3 (and does NOT have wifi, and the top button doesnt work)? (I do NOT want to update to 4.* as it causes the phone to slowdown a lot.)

Thanks!!!

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
If the iPhone was being used on T-Mo then it was already unlocked. Unless of course you were confused and meant AT&T. (Apple only sells GSM iPhones on AT&T in the USA, you have to unlock for T-Mo). However, when you restored, you got rid of any possibility that it was unlocked.

I did some thorough Google searching for you, and found this:

http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/put-iphone-dfu-mode-jailbreak-home-power-button-broken

Not sure if it will help you or not but that may get you into DFU mode.

Go into your Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware. If it says 6.15.00 then all you have to do is jailbreak and then install Ultrasn0w from Cydia and you're good. Since you mentioned it being on T-Mo and 4.2.1 then it's logical to think that it's already on 6.15.00.

If you're not on 6.15.00, you will have to update to 4.2.1 firmware and use Redsn0w to update your baseband to the iPad baseband (6.15.00). This will allow you to then install Ultrasn0w from Cydia and unlock. Good luck!

lyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Is DFU mode the same mode that I had to put it in, to be restored via itunes?

My modem firmware is 6.15.00.

Also, how can I install anything from cydia if I dont have wifi or data?

edit: also, I meant the carrier is fido. Not t-mobile.

edit2: Since its locked to Fido, which is owned by rogers... Maybe I could contact rogers? I am with rogers.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Is DFU mode the same mode that I had to put it in, to be restored via itunes?

My modem firmware is 6.15.00.

Also, how can I install anything from cydia if I dont have wifi or data?

edit: also, I meant the carrier is fido. Not t-mobile.

edit2: Since its locked to Fido, which is owned by rogers... Maybe I could contact rogers? I am with rogers.

pwned DFU mode is required to restore in iTunes since you're on 6.15.00. It is like DFU mode but it's altered by the jailbreak program (Redsn0w, Sn0wbreeze, pwnagetool) to accept custom firmwares.

Also, I've heard that Fido and Rogers SIM cards are interchangeable; a Fido phone should work with a Rogers SIM without even unlocking. I'd at least try it before contacting anyone or going through the painstaking process of getting into DFU without a power button.

lyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Well, I somehow restored my 4.2.1 iphone 3g to 3.1.3 through itunes without having use that tool.

Is there anyone whos' used the above method to jailbreak their phone? Putting it in that DFU loop seems sketchy.

Last edited:

lyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Wait.

Couldnt I make a custim ipsw with ultrasnow or snowbreeze? (Can those programs like jailbreak and unlock the custom ipsw, then I load it onto my phone using itunes ir pwnagetool?)

-Josh

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Ultrasnow unlocks the phone.
Snowbreeze creates the custom firmware.
You need to do more research.:rolleyes:
Wait.

Couldnt I make a custim ipsw with ultrasnow or snowbreeze? (Can those programs like jailbreak and unlock the custom ipsw, then I load it onto my phone using itunes ir pwnagetool?)

-Josh

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Wait.

-Josh

You got back down to 3.1.3 because you do not need SHSH for that firmware and for some reason it didn't error out with the baseband.

You could make a custom IPSW if you wanted to but in order to restore to it, you're still going to have to get into pwned DFU mode. Ultrasn0w is a tool located in Cydia used to unlock the iPhone. Sn0wbreeze is IPSW creation software for the Windows platform. No worries though, a few more months on this forum will educate you. Google is also your friend!

lyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Okay so.

I fixed my wifi. I have no idea how. But I did.

Yet, its VERY weak. Needs to be right next to the router to get full signal. About 5 feet away and it loses all signal.

So that solves that issue. But I still need to somehow get into DFU mode to initially jailbreak the phone. Ugh. Is that method that you linked me to...safe?

edit: I see some tutorials on here that say I can restore to a custom IPSW by just using the shift + restore option in iTunes. Is this true?

and could I use "iREB" to make it go into DFU mode? or RecBoot?

edit2: Well, if I use snowbreeze to make a custom ipsw of 3.1.3, then use iREB to put it into a pwned state, then restore. Would that work? Even though my power button is broke?

And when creating the ipsw, should I hactivate it even though I'd be on one of the official carriers? (Rogers)

Last edited:

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Okay so.

Yet, its VERY weak. Needs to be right next to the router to get full signal. About 5 feet away and it loses all signal.

So that solves that issue. But I still need to somehow get into DFU mode to initially jailbreak the phone. Ugh. Is that method that you linked me to...safe?

edit: I see some tutorials on here that say I can restore to a custom IPSW by just using the shift + restore option in iTunes. Is this true?

edit2: Well, if I use snowbreeze to make a custom ipsw of 3.1.3, then use iREB to put it into a pwned state, then restore. Would that work? Even though my power button is broke?

And when creating the ipsw, should I hactivate it even though I'd be on one of the official carriers? (Rogers)

I suggested in an earlier post that you try inserting your Rogers SIM into the Fido phone because I heard that it will work. You should try this before doing ANY of what you said in the quoted post.

Regardless of whether you restore to custom firmware or you jailbreak a stock one, you NEED to be in DFU mode. To restore to custom firmware, you need to be in pwned DFU mode. To get into pwned DFU, you still have to put your phone in regular DFU and then use Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze's built in iReb tool to put it in pwned DFU from there.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Okay so.

use spirit to jailbreak the phone & then unlock it with ultrasn0w. Spirit is easy to use and you do not need to put your phone into DFU mode for this jailbreak.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
once jailbroken with spirit you can install activator and assign your sleep button to another button or gesture (such as the volume button)

lyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Putting my Rogers SIM into the FIDO phone was the first thing I tried. It didn't work. I also confirmed with a Rogers employee that the trick doesn't work on newer phones.

@crystal-rx

Spirit doesn't require DFU mode to jailbreak? I'll check it out!|

edit: Spirit requires me to have another activated device? I dont have a 2nd iphone lol. or anything like
edit2: Thanks crystal! My phones now jailbroken! :D:D:D

Last edited:

Inkllicious

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
pwned DFU mode is required to restore in iTunes since you're on 6.15.00. It is like DFU mode but it's altered by the jailbreak program (Redsn0w, Sn0wbreeze, pwnagetool) to accept custom firmwares.

Also, I've heard that Fido and Rogers SIM cards are interchangeable; a Fido phone should work with a Rogers SIM without even unlocking. I'd at least try it before contacting anyone or going through the painstaking process of getting into DFU without a power button.

Nope. I've been a user of both their services. They've also declined it themselfs. Its a rumor

lyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Alright so.

I jailbroke the phone, connected to wifi, installed ultrasn0w and had to "reload springboard".

Now my phone is just sitting (hanging) at a loading circle on a black screen.

I read online and people say to fix this, just restart your phone. MY issue is, I cant power off my phone as it does not have a working power button.

What should I do? Just wait for the phone to die?

or should I try plugging it in?

Last edited:

Inkllicious

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
Alright so.

I jailbroke the phone, connected to wifi, installed ultrasn0w and had to "reload springboard".

Now my phone is just sitting (hanging) at a loading circle on a black screen.

I read online and people say to fix this, just restart your phone. MY issue is, I cant power off my phone as it does not have a working power button.

What should I do? Just wait for the phone to die?

or should I try plugging it in?

You should really just take appart the phone and fix the top button :l

lyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
I plan on doing that after I get the phone jailbroken and unlocked.

My phone is still hanging on the spinning circle and black screen after I chose to 'reload springboard".

As I said, people said to simply reboot the phone. But I cannot do that as my power button doesnt work.

So, what do I do from here? Plug it into my laptop and see what happens? Or maybe let the battery die to simulate a shutdown?

Inkllicious

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
I plan on doing that after I get the phone jailbroken and unlocked.

My phone is still hanging on the spinning circle and black screen after I chose to 'reload springboard".

As I said, people said to simply reboot the phone. But I cannot do that as my power button doesnt work.

So, what do I do from here? Plug it into my laptop and see what happens? Or maybe let the battery die to simulate a shutdown?

Probably currently your best bet. if you can't reboot it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.