Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MaddyJune, Mar 14, 2012.

1. MaddyJune macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I dropped my current phone in a hot tub this weekend and it is dead for good. I've been given a hand-me-down iPhone 3g (not 3gs) and I know that I have to jailbreak and unlock it before I am able to put my AT&T SIM card in and use it. I am not tech-savvy, however, and have not been able to find a site I can completely trust to unlock it for me. I've also seen a lot of comments about baseband and iOS specs and how important they are in unlocking a phone, however this was given to me by a friend of my boyfriend's and he doesn't know this information about his phone. Please help!
    Thanks,
    MaddyJune

2. MaddyJune thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I found how to jailbreak it with greenpois0n and I figured out the iOS and baseband specs, but how can I unlock it?

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If it's on 4.1 or higher you're going to have to install the iPad baseband. You can do this with Redsn0w.

To unlock you have to add the ultrasn0w source in Cydia.

4. MaddyJune thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks so much. Could you go into further specifics as to how I do this? I have iOS 4.2.1 and a bb 5.15.04

5. wanzer macrumors member

Where is your iPhone 3G from? If it's from the U.S. you won't need to JB or unlock to use att with it

6. MaddyJune thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean, it says "assembled in China" on the back. Is that what you mean? Otherwise, yes, it was bought in America. I want to unlock it so that I can continue to use my current plan without adding a data plan to it.

7. wanzer macrumors member

If you bought your iPhone 3G in the U.S. you won't need to JB and unlock, you should be able to just insert your att sim card and use it since it's locked to att anyway. Regardless, att will eventually add data to your plan once they see that you are using an iPhone on their network, unlocking it won't help you bypass this.

BTW, everything is made / assembled in China these days.