Jailbreak and Unlock Iphone w/ new Bootrom question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by appatight, Jul 22, 2010.

1. appatight macrumors newbie

Ok I'm kind of new to all this so bear with me please. I got an Iphone 3gs with the new bootrom. It is to my understanding that Spirit will jailbreak the phone but it wont unlock it. I'm a t-mobile customer so I need to unlock most definitely. Now it is also to my understanding that I can unlock with Ultrasn0w. So basically my question how would I accomplish both jailbreak and unlock. A little tiny set of instructions would be helpful. I was told by a sort of an unreliable source that I first jailbreak with spirit then go into cydia and search and find Ultrasn0w. Then run Ultrasn0w and it will unlock it. Then my Iphone with the new bootrom would be jailbroken and unlocked. Can someone please confirm this or just list a set of instructions of the correct way. I just don't want to risk bricking my iphone. All help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

In this case, your unreliable source was very reliable.

You cannot brick a 3GS phone except by sudden hardware failure.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The most important issue is what version of firmware you are on. If your 3GS is running 3.1.3 or earlier, you can indeed jailbreak with Spirit and use Ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock. However, if the phone has been updated to 4.0 or 4.0.1 you cannot jailbreak and have to wait for new tools.

4. appatight thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it was running 4.0 when my friend had it but I'm going to restore it back to 3.1.3

5. anthdci macrumors 6502

apple only let you restore to the latest version. the only way you can downgrade to 3.1.3 is if you have your shsh files saved locally or in cydia?

6. appatight thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL, yep like I said I'm new and I just made a boo-boo. My iphone 3gs never had any of the shsh blobs saved. Ok my friend who gave me the phone had 4.0 installed on the phone. Now that he has left and gone back home (which is about 700 miles away) he did a restore to OS 4.0.1. The phone was never activated and since I'm a t-mobile customer I can't activate the phone. Now after some extensive googling I managed to get my phone back on 3.1.3 on a firmware that I found online. I think the firmware is custom built with one of those jailbreaking tools but not 100% sure. This firmware is specifically for iPhone 3gs 3rd Generation. Now of course it still needs to be activated and right now it's stuck on the connect to itunes screen. And iTunes tells me that the sim card is not supported. So I'm kind of stuck right now. Is there anyway that I can get this phone back jailbroken so I can use it again with t-mobile? Do I, Can I, or will I have to get an actual AT&T customer to activate it. Or is it anyway possible to over ride this? Again all help is greatly appreciated.

7. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i think you can use ANY att sim card...one thats activated or not. all you need to do is get past that screen. it shouldn't be hard to borrow someone card for a second.

8. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

My question is how did you downgrade back to 3.1.3 without the SHSH blob?

9. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

10. appatight thread starter macrumors newbie

googled and found a ipsw that shsh blobs were saved for.

11. appatight thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I'm going to see if I can find someone who has AT&T or an old one or something. Mostly everyone I know has verizon or t-mobile also so that might be kind of a challenge but I'm sure someone I know can help out. I will try this and let everyone knows how it goes.

12. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

The shsh blobs are unique to each phone though. You can't use another phone's shsh blob.

13. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

when you edit the /host file...does that bypass the apple server for verification? maybe that's how they can use an ipsw off the internet to restore to an earlier version.

14. appatight thread starter macrumors newbie

Then you have to change your host file so iTunes goes to a different server for verification. If you need help with this let me know.

Yes you have to edit the hosts file and it fools iTunes into thinking that it is going out to apple for verification but instead it going out to a Cydia server where it will get verified. If you need me too I can post some instructions on how I did it anyways which was successful for me just the only thing is I can't activate. And if you need me to let me know what OS you're using because I'm using a Mac.

15. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Your iPhone MUST have had a SHSH saved for 3.1.3 to restore to it. Each SHSH is unique to your phone because it references the IMEI (or ECID, both unique).
    The method you are describing points your computer to that saved SHSH on cydia.

You could not have loaded a custom FW onto your phone because they are not compatible with new bootrom devices.

Sherif Hashim has posted a video tutorial showing how to activate an iPhone using a phonebook SIM

16. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Saved me the trouble of pointing out everything everyone that was 'helping' missed.

17. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

:D
    I am amazed at how much advice here recently is followed up by '...i think' or '...please correct me if i'm wrong'... but by then the advice is taken, and the damage done.

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Epidemic here as of late !

19. appatight thread starter macrumors newbie

ok I don't know what kind of firmware it was. All I know is that it loaded into my phone. So it could be just an original ipsw from a new store bought phone or something. I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews about people who said that method does work or doesn't about the phonebook sim. Lets say it does work for me... could I then jailbreak with spirit?