Jailbreak and unlock questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lelegitl, Apr 1, 2009.

1. lelegitl macrumors member

Wuts gud people, I have a couple of question,

I done some reasearch but I am very confuse with jailbreaking and unlock and I watched a couple of youtube videos, but these people aren't really good at explaining. I was wondering, I have an iPhone unmodded with a 3.0 beta firmware. if I restore it to 2.2.1 or whatever apple's current software is. I was wondering if I then jailbreak it, will it also unlock the phone, and what happens if Apple came up with the official 3.0 software in the summer, can I update it and it will still be jailbroken. I am so confuse of how jailbreaking works, and there are so many softwares, I don't know what to trust, ziphone, pwnage, etc.

2. lelegitl thread starter macrumors member

like, will my phone be brick if I went from a jailbroken iphone to updating it to apple's legit iphone software. Yeah, I'm kind of new to this. Just own my first iPhone

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

In many respects, it's not a bad idea to follow the old adage, "If you're not sure what you're doing - leave well alone!" :)

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You probably will not be able to unlock with software now, as I don't think you can get your baseband back down to 2.28.

If it's jailbroken then it won't be once you update the phone again.

5. lelegitl thread starter macrumors member

Will updating from a jail broken iphone to an official apple 3.0 software in the summer brick my iphone?

What is the best program to use?

If I jailbreak my iPhone with quickpwn, can I still use other programs such as pwnage to unlock my iphone, and vice versa, or will using multiple differnt programs to mod my phone brick it

How does iPhone get brick so I won't brick it?

How does the baseband and unlocking thingy work?

Will I loose my contacts apps and stuff jailbreaking and unlocking?

Sorry, I done my reasearch but no one was really clear

thank you so much if anyone can answer these question, I truly appreciated.

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

The 3.0 beta 2 has been unlocked for the 3G and the Edge. This requires a SIM chip, though.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Most likely no. Never has in the past.

Best program to jailbreak with is QuickPwn. Unlocking cannot occur past 2.2 because of the baseband, it halted yellowsn0w

You would use yellowsn0w to unlock it but this has been disabled by Apple since they changed the baseband.. no way to unlock without a turbosim or like product right now.

Most anything you do to an iPhone can be solved by a restore. I guess dropping an iPhone in a pool may brick it.

Magic

Not if you back them up first

8. lelegitl thread starter macrumors member