Apple TV Jailbreak and use USB flash drive?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ckurt25, Jun 11, 2011.

1. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I have a 1st gen :apple:TV and like it very much. Biggest thing that kept me from jumping on the :apple:TV 2 bandwagon was the lack of storage. I love the ability to sync my itunes library with the :apple:TV so I don't have to worry about making sure my iMac is up in order to stream. With all the new features with airplay and using the :apple:TV 2 as a screen while playing games on the ipad and/or iPhone I thought it might be worth looking more seriously at upgrading.

Now that the jailbreak has been out for a while I was searching here to see if anyone had been using a USB flash drive as their external storage source for the :apple:TV 2. I only have the 40 GB :apple:TV so I'd probably only get a 32 GB drive to use. I can put a dozen or so movies on their and just re sync with itunes as needed. I'm looking to keep this as simple and cheap as possible.

Thanks!
    Chris

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Short answer: Not possible.

If you want the long answer as to why, there are plenty of existing threads dealing with that for you to find.

3. ckurt25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Actually, when I search "usb flash drive" there isn't one relevant post that comes up. Short answers are fine though.

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

True, there are many variations of the name. Flash drive, thumb drive, USB stick, external drive, etc... Additionally - From a practical point of view, the flash part is unimportant, it is equivalent to an USB HDD.

In any case, no external drive for the ATV2 :(