Jailbreak - Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cswan19, Jun 1, 2013.

1. cswan19 macrumors newbie

So today I dropped my iPhone 4s and my back glass shattered. :mad: I plan on taking it into the Apple store to have the back replaced for $29. They also said on the phone that they were going to check over everything with my iphone to make sure it is all working correctly. My phone is jailbroken with evasion... will they be able to tell it is jailbroken? What happens if they do? Will they just take it off? What happens?

How can I take it off? I backed up my iphone to my mac in iTunes. But when I try to restore from backup it starts to say restoring iphone but about 5 seconds later it pops up a warning that says the restore could not be completed because there is not enough memory on my device. My iphone has 2.6 gb of free space so idk what the deal is. Im also afraid to restore it to factory settings and then try to put the latest backup on only to find that it gives the same error message and I'm stuck with a factory setting iphone without any of my info and data on it. I dont want to lose all my data but I would really like the jailbreak off. Any help?

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

If you have a latest backup then restore to factory, fix iPhone then with the fixed iPhone restore the latest backup. Or am I missing something?

3. cswan19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I just backed it up tonight so it was backed up with the jailbreak on the phone

4. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Huh? Just restore it to factory, give it to Apple. When they hand back the fixed version, restore the backup and then done. You can't backup jailbreak, it only saves applications, text, emails, calender, notes etc. if you have iCloud it's even better, just restore to factory, and then once you get it back, log into iCloud and your text messages, emails, calender etc. all get downloaded back into your phone.

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

ok if you want to keep your jailbreak and get your phone repaired, just add a password to it and tell apple you are only interested in fixing the hardware - which i suspect is what they meant by "checking everything". they just want to make sure the sensors, the camera, and so on have not been damaged.

a jailbreak doesn't cause glass to shatter so there is no reason they should turn you down. if you are still concerned just make your LS the default ugly look of iOS so that they won't suspect.

you may have private information on your phone such as contacts, emails and such and they have no business inspecting any of your settings without your consent.

if you DO want to get rid of your JB just RESTORE as NEW with iTunes and then restore again from backup.

6. cswan19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks guys, even though its telling me that there isn't enough space to restore from backup, does it mean that backup is corrupted or something? So if I restore to factory, take it in, and then restore from the backup it should work right? I'm just worried that the backup is screwed up, I've lost all my data before because I restored it wrong so I'm pretty worried about losing it again lol