jailbreak backup question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Dr Kevorkian94, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

well i am most likely going to jailbreak, but as stated i have a question about backing up when my iphone 4 is jailbroken through iTunes. so if im jailbroken and i want to back up my app store apps and the non jailbroken stuff through itunes. now say i want to restore my iphone 4 to get rid of the jailbreak, and say i restore from backup (the backup i did through itunes while jailbroken) will i still have the app data from my app store apps and no longer jailbroken? thanks in advanced because this question has been pestering me.

2. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

If this jailbreak is like the previous ones you will want to set phone up as new. restoring from a jailbreak backup can lead to problems. If you want to get rid of the jailbreak just restore, setup as a new phone and sync all your stuff after. The downside is you do lose some stuff, texts saved game info etc.

3. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

4. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Never had this problem.

When you do a backup to iTunes the only apps it backs up are ones from iTunes. So if you restore your phone to factory settings and then restore from a backup you were using none of your jailbreak apps are there.

Matt

5. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

I'm not saying that you can't restore from a jb'd backup. But you may have some remnants of the jailbreak left over after the restore. Setting the phone up as new is the only sure fire way to completely get rid of the jailbreak.