Jailbreak benefits??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by organik12, Mar 26, 2008.

1. organik12 macrumors newbie

What are the real benefits of jailbreak.
    what are some 'can't live without' apps thats jailbreak can bring to iTouch?
    is it worth it?

2. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

I'd love to know that too by the way--a nice summing up of what the big deal is with jailbreaking, that'd be neat! Thanks for posting this question!

3. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

A nice summary of Improving a iPod touch?

It allows you to do things (at least not untill june) that are NOT wi-fi based, like web apps. Provides you with a wealth of 3rd party apps that you would not be able to get elsewhere. Games, Themes... You can also change the themes (MAJOR reason for me improving mine) and other little things.. you have to do it to understand really, and its so easy a caveman could do it!

4. organik12 thread starter macrumors newbie

These are all pretty general things that sound good on paper. But what about some specific things (Apps, etc.) that you think are amazing and def. worth the jailbreak? I'd like to understand before i do it, not vice versa.

cheers

5. dagored macrumors 65816

You already seem set against it. If you have to be convinced, you should not JB your Touch.

I, however, can not ever see me using a plain vanilla Touch. Too much missing in it.

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

For me
    -downloading all my podcasts where there is wifi
    - downloading youtube video and saving it directly to my ipt.
    -money software
    -some great games
    -dictionary
    -piano, guitar and drums program

7. mooreman macrumors newbie

How about the ability to save/view/edit documents, i.e Word/Excel offline? I haven't heard anybody mention these.

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

The ability to have something other than a jet black, smudge showing wallpaper. Custom, user-selectable icons. Custom buttons and graphics. Custom fonts, a calendar view on the lock screen. Reflective dock. MobileScrobbler. Games. All the iPhone apps, available for free and working perfectly since LONG before the app pack. The list of benefits is long, and there are no disadvantages that I'm aware of (besides the initial investment of time, which IMO is more than worth it) ...

9. baadtaste macrumors member

baadtaste

wha ??

hi - as u all can see I'm new to this forum - so I'll risk a stupid question: Jail Brake is a piece of software? that does exactly what? :confused:

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

To jailbreak is to modify the firmware to allow 3rd party apps, it is not a software, but requires software to do it.
    (try Ziphione 2.6b)

11. sbowesuk macrumors newbie

He/she asked a simple enough question, and got a painfully vague answer. Perfectly understandable that they ask for further clarification given the terribly uninformative response. Don't get all defensive, just answer the question with a bit of substance, otherwise admit that jailbreaking is a massive gimmick offering nothing but gimmicks.

12. dagored macrumors 65816

I will not elaborate on this, you are totally correct in your understanding of jailbreaking.

13. Xavier macrumors 68020

These days it is so easy to jailbreak the iPod Touch, you should just do it if you are feeling like it.

The main advantage for me was to add little mods that make things a little more convenient like calendar mods, themes, weather mods, and the like.

There are a lot of different and cool things that jailbreaking offers, but it is something i could live without.

14. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Some of my favorite apps:

Backgrounder: Allows you to run apps in the background, which is great if you want to listen to audio from an app like Pandora while actually using your iPod for something else too

Kirikae, ProSwitcher, etc: Two of many available app switching programs, which let you switch among backgrounded apps after installing Backgrounder

SBSettings: The reason I originally jailbroke my iPod, this allows you to access a bunch of settings (turn WiFi on/off, adjust volume and brightness, kill processes and free up memory, etc) from an overlay that you can bring up in any app without disrupting what you were doing. Plugins to do a bunch of other stuff are available, but I haven't explored a ton of them. Unbelievably convenient—functions that are only otherwise accessible with a trip to Settings.app can now be used without leaving Safari. As a bonus, lets you hide app icons from the home screen (good bye to Stocks and Voice Memos!).

YourTube: Lets you download videos from YouTube and store them on your device

Safari Download Manager: Adds download capability to Safari, so you can save that zip file or Word document on your iPod for later retrieval...or viewing using...

iFile: Filesystem browser that lets you store and view documents of all types, including those downloaded using the above two apps. A bit like FileMagnet, but you can access the entire iPod filesystem.

Emulators for a bunch of vintage video game systems (NES, SNES, GameBoy, Genesis, etc.), if you're into that sort of thing.

As mentioned before, utilities that let you customise practically every aspect of your iPod: wallpaper, icons, colors, lockscreen graphics, even change the word "iPod" in the status bar. Most of this stuff requires you to install Winterboard.

There are also a bunch of hacks that let you put more than four icons in the Dock, have more than four rows of icons in Springboard, etc.

A bunch of other stuff I haven't personally tried but have read good reviews about (LockScreenInfo, MyWi, etc). If you're interested, just Google "best jailbroken apps" and open the first few hits, and you should be able to get at least some idea of what you're in for.

The only real drawback (besides the extra hassle of reinstalling all your jailbroken stuff if you have to restore, and the "tethered" jailbreak if you have a 3G Touch) is that some of these apps drain your battery faster. And it's not always the ones you'd assume—Rotation Inhibitor, of all things, caused the most battery drain on my Touch. If you're not afraid to experiment, go for it :)

See iFile ;) Won't let you edit, but you can manage and view them. I'm sure there's something out there that would let you edit (other than the ones on the official App Store).

15. Nallavan macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I am a new user of iphone.
    I installed tuvlite on my phone. that lets you see some channels for 2 miutes only. Safri does not allow me to download and install tuvplayer. How can I do it?

Also, is it possible to install internet explorer in iphone or should we use only safari?

16. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

dude, you shouldn't even install internet explorer on a desktop ! ;)