Jailbreak bricked phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Green93, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Green93 macrumors newbie

My phone is bricked and I'm desperate to get it fixed. I get an error 1 message and won't restore in iTunes. I don't care about the data on the phone. What can I do? Is there a jailbreak that will fix this in the process? Basically just wipe the phone and start over? Can't seem to find any real info on an error 1.

Please help

Jason

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What model iphone, what firmware where you on and baseband version?
    Was it software unlocked ultrasnow or stock? Did it have the ipad bb installed?

3. Green93 thread starter macrumors newbie

The phone is just a 3GS. I had it jail broken at one time but noticed it slowing down so I restored it with iTunes. This was probably a year ago. I updated to ios5 with iTunes. It is Not currently running the latest version but the one previous. I haven't messed with anything else, and I'm not sure of any other versions of software that it is running.

The phone starts up but stops on the iTunes logo with the cord. I'm assuming this is bricked? iTunes shows unknown error 1. Is there anything I can do to wipe it completely and reinstall software? What are my options?

Thanks
    Jason

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Don't worry, its not bricked and can be fixed. Try the DFU restore.

6. Green93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks guys. I'll try that now. I don't think I'm getting it into dfu mode properly so I'll give it another shot. Then that iTunes message pops up on my screen it doesn't have the yellow triangle on it. Do I need to see that to know its in dfu mode?

Jason

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your screen on the iphone should be black with nothing on it.
    And then itunes should say it found an iphone in restore mode or something like that.
    Follow the step by step link.

8. Green93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok in the process now. The screen was blank but partway through the process the apple icon and a white status bar show up. Is that still dfu or should it stay black for the entire process?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Once you start the restore with itunes the apple logo and restore progress line will come up.
    Let it restore.

10. Green93 thread starter macrumors newbie

:confused: Ok. The status bar fills up about 2/3 of the way and then it hangs there for a long time. Then the error message on iTunes pops up, "could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1).". And the iPhone cycles back to the connect to iTunes screen.

Paperweight?

Jason

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

base on the attached link, you can use tiny umbrella to exit recovery. I have not faced this issue, so let's give it a try;

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=ITunes_Errors

12. Green93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Running to work. I'll try this ASAP. Thank you.

13. Green93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello all. Sorry for the delay. I looked into tiny umbrella and realized it was just more than I could comfortably do myself. I decided to take the phone to the apple store in hopes they could wipe it and I could start fresh. They hooked it up. Dfu mode and the same thing happened. Unknown error (1). Basically told me there was nothing that could be done. My genius then told me that this was a known error to them. They replaced my 3year old phone on the spot for free. Anyways, I just wanted to let everyone know they should just take it to apple. Great to deal with.

Thanks for all the help.

Jason