Jailbreak broke my GPS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by horrgakx, Dec 16, 2010.

1. horrgakx macrumors member

horrgakx

Hi all - I've got an iPhone 3GS (model MC133B, modem firmware 05.15.04).

I jailbroke it when I was on 4.1 and GPS stopped working (I've seen this as an issue). I put the official 4.1 back on but still GPS wasn't working. I've since flashed 4.2 on it and even set it up as a new phone but still to no avail.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

2. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Is the sky cloudy?

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

HOw "exactly" the GPS is not working? you get an error? it doesn't even pick the tower assisted locations?

4. Bakakage macrumors 6502

5. horrgakx, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

horrgakx thread starter macrumors member

horrgakx

All the simple stuff has been checked, the location services, outdoors... Etc.
    No error msg but Maps uses the guess work from the towers. But as I'm rural this can easily be miles out. Any other GPS app just don't get a lock.

I'm convinced it's the reported issues with jailbreaking but I can't get it back.

PS this has been happening for about 4 weeks now and I've put up with it but I'm gettis pi$$ed off now as my satnav isn't working which is the biggest thing.

6. horrgakx thread starter macrumors member

horrgakx

Bump. Now desperate, gonna have to spend a few hundred quid as a result of a damned software issue.

7. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

8. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Yes, what is your current baseband?
    If you're on 6.15.00, GPS is currently a no go.

When you jailbroke 4.1, what did you use limera1n or gp?

9. horrgakx, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

horrgakx

Thanks for the replies. Modem version is 05.15.04 on iOS4.2 (official thru iTunes v10.1.1.4).
    I'll have used Limera1n to jailbreak.

It is the baseband version to blame?

10. horrgakx, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

horrgakx

Reverse psychology - would re-jailbreaking be a fix??

Ps - I compared my 3GS to my brother in law's of the same model and the modem etc is exactly the same. So, is this gonna be a hardware issue?

11. noiceT macrumors 6502a

You could try re-JBing, but if you have the official 4.2.1 with most current BB as well, what about taking it in to apple to fix? If your GPS is not working after 4.2.1 maybe you can get it replaced??;)

12. horrgakx thread starter macrumors member

horrgakx

I've kinda tried the replacement / repair route. I called Apple but they said because it was 6 months out of the 12 month warranty they wanted about £150 to repair it.

O2 sold me the phone with a 24 month contract and I'd expect the phone to last for the duration of the contract. But of course Apple said it was O2's problem and not theirs.

The phone IS insured; but this very phone was an insurance replacement 18 months ago. I don't think insurance covers faults, only breakages or losses.

13. noiceT macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure how it is abroad, but in the states (at least in my experience) talking with apple support is pointless..if you want results, go down and make an appointment with the genius bar; its the best way. If its in traveling distance.

Otherwise, perhaps your timing might be good, as untethered 4.2.1 looks to be close on the horizon:D Maybe like you said, re-JB might be a good move~

14. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

A feature of the phone that you need doesn't work, I would consider it a breakage.

15. horrgakx thread starter macrumors member

horrgakx

Just checked the policy, it does cover electrical & mechanical breakdowns.
    Only thing is - should I wait for the 4.2 jailbreak and try it - or just make a claim now?

16. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

When I jailbroke my phone is slowly stopped working, I dont know if it was the sheer volume of crap and tweaks I was downloading and installing or not.

FYI when you re-install the Official iOS version, your phone still retains certain jailbroken code. So a particular jailbroken app could still be blocking your GPS from working.

I know it does because when I restored the OS, I kept my custom carrier name all the way from OS 2.0, right up untill 4.2.1 where it, for some reason, restored it back to 02-UK.

17. horrgakx thread starter macrumors member

horrgakx

The irony with mine is that I jailbroke it and then thought "I don't actually want to do anything the jailbreak gives me" (eg. I bought Satnav software) so I almost immediately took it back to the proper Apple version and at that point I discovered the GPS wasn't working :mad:

18. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I noticed this too, specifically the ability to click the wifi symbol to turn it to a number survived a restore and even an iOS upgrade. Everyone seems to preach that jailbreak disappears with a restore but certainly not all parts do. What I think these things are: user settings that e user doesn't typically have access to change. While the executable code may be gone there are plenty of items left behind in a restore, possibly even after a restore as new.

For the op though I would say restore as new and that is the best you can do. Maybe you could try 4.1 again.

19. horrgakx thread starter macrumors member

horrgakx

Thanks. Though I tried official 4.1 already (which is where I noticed the fault).

20. gamezz macrumors newbie

i have the exact same issue...anyone found a possible solution?