Jailbreak + categories + winterboard + backgrounder = sloow loading native apps

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fa.ce, Oct 22, 2008.

1. fa.ce macrumors 6502

i've been so happy to jalbreak my iPhone 3G.
    now i discover that loading native applications (calendar, calculator, preferences, ecc.) takes so long ... why ?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If backrounder is a program that allows others to run in the backround....that could be your problem as any programs you "close" instead of force quit will be running in the backround eating up CPU cycles as well as battery.

3. calvy macrumors 65816

You have to manually hold the button down to set a program to run in the background, so you'd know if any other apps are running in the background that wouldn't be on a stock phone.

4. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Many have reported that the slow down seems to be due to winterboard. I have the slow down as well, but am unwilling to stop using winterboard and my custom themes as this is a large reason why I jailbroke in the first place.

I have noticed however, that if you run any widgets like the clock widget and the weather widget, it will slow down even more. So I did quit running those and it helped somewhat. :)

5. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

It could be simply the theme that you are using.

I am running everything that you have listed, and I have no real problems with any of it, although, I have found specific theme elements that bring everything to a halt.

Of course, you don't want a whole bunch of stuff running in the background continuously either though.

If that's the case, kill some processes.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

My mistake, I thought it was something that just allowed whatever app to run in the backround.

7. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Actually, it's quite good. For example, if you want to stream music from an app that normally doesn't run in the background, there you go.

I tried it with a pedometer app though, and it didn't work. I don't think that backgrounder will work with any process that involves the accelerometer.