jailbreak cripples 3G service??

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by gigaguy, May 30, 2010.

1. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I activated ATT on my jailbroken iPad and could only ever get Edge network. Tonight I did a factory reset and 3G appeared! Then I jailbroke it again and 3G was gone, only Edge speeds. (E) shows up in the ATT area.
    Anyone else experiencing this?? I have not read about it anywhere. I have an appt with Apple genius but if it's jailbreak related, I may stay home.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ok are you installing other Apps from Cydia after you jailbreak?

Also have you tried going to Carrier in the settings and unticking Automatic and selecting 3G only?

3. kdesign7 macrumors 6502a

I get the e when i dont have full service, i live outside the city. Did you try a respring/reboot after jb?

4. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

fixed it.
    I had jailbroken it first, then activated ATT service days later. 3G would not connect, Edge did.
    So I restored the ipad to factory setup, 3G worked fine. so I left 3G service ON and jailbroke again, Now 3G works fine and it is jailbroken.

I had never read about any 3G and spirit jailbreak problems.
    Maybe not that many 3Gs are jailbroken yet?

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

My 3g is jailbroken and I have no issues with connecting to 3g at all. I know sometimes when activating a new account the 3g is the last thing to get updated in the system, I have had this happen to me a couple of times where only the phone and edge parts worked, but then a day or 2 later the 3g data kicked in.

6. mixvio macrumors 6502

I've got a jailbroken 3G as well and I don't have any issue with it.

Sometimes if you reset network settings, that clears up issues like this.

7. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

After much testing, it seems my iPad needs a specific setup sequence to get access to 3G service, and I think the spirit jailbreak is involved. here is what I find-
    If I don't set up (activate) ATT service Before I jailbreak, 3G will never work. edge does. does jb matter, do you always need to activate 3G first? I see the activate window when I first hook the ipad to Mac, and it says 'activation could take a long time'. maybe I don't know how to activate properly?

If I restore from a working backup (which was jailbroke) - 3G will not work.

-If I plug in iPad to Mac, do full restore, I then have to setup ATT before I jailbreak to get 3G.

I just wonder if backups are useless since they seem to not be compatible with 3G. I always want a jailbreak so I have to do these things in sequence or 3G will never connect. and yes I have set/reset everything when 3G won't come up. but as soon as I restore, then set up ATT, then jb, then set up as new device, it'll all work. hmm.

8. MrDeeds macrumors newbie

I've had 2 3G ipads and both were jailbroken. I never had any reception issues prior and post jailbreak. I've also never been forced to use edge because im in a 3g area.

So i think your issues have nothing to do with jailbreak and mostly have to do with reception.

9. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

hmm well, it;s like clockwork, if I don;t set up ATT before I jb it won;t connect, but as soon as I set up activate ATT and then jb, it always works fine.
    I wish I could figure it out, but it works ok as long as I do it this way.

10. chinarut macrumors member

Could have sworn I rebooted after jb - but regardless the good ole reboot did it for me and I can purchase a data plan - thanks!