Jailbreak doesn't bother people?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by richpjr, Oct 11, 2007.

1. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

Doesn't it bother people with all the flurry of excitement about Jailbreaking? I can certainly understand the frustration with Apple for restricting the phones and iPods, but it's not like this wasn't known before anyone bought their devices. All the many threads asking for copies of mail and other programs that DIDN'T come with the device you paid for is just basically pirating software. That doesn't bother people?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

jailbreaking does not bother me since it is just adding functionality that should have been there to begin with.

3. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I don't see the big deal- it's your device- do what you want to it.

4. Quickdood macrumors regular

Nope... Welcome to the Internet :D

5. GrimmGreen macrumors regular

certainly doesn't bother me , i probably wont end up doing it , but it doesn't bother me for the same reason that it doesn't bother me that Blendtech will blend one in the blender

i think that the second you pay for and own your own ipod you should be able to do whatever you want with it

apple should not be doing this " dont mess with our software or else BS"

6. recover82 macrumors member

recover82

7. csmith75 macrumors newbie

So I assume you don't add any additional programs to any computer that you've paid for, right?

8. jacktiernan macrumors regular

I quote the thread starter....

"...If Apple released an iPod that had everything but the phone in it, they'd sell a hell of a lot more of them than they'd ever sell iPhones. I am stuck with Verizon and am out in the cold for an iPhone, but I'd buy a device like that in a heartbeat..."

Well, they did just that. Then they crippled it. I am taking back what apple should have given me. I have spent more than $15000 on apple products over the last decade, they can damn well give me a few apps.

9. new0rder macrumors member

iPt jailbreak is the day I been waiting for, finally! I can ran 3rd party apps!

10. rj5555 macrumors newbie

I bought my ipod expecting it to be opened soon.

Yes, coping iphone apps to the touch would be pirating.. but adding 3rd party software is not.

11. mrhockey123 macrumors regular

While I'm annoyed at the missing features, you made a conscious decision to buy the iPod Touch knowing which features it had / didn't have. I did the same thing.

"crippled" IMO would mean it came with all the iPhone apps, then Apple issued some kind of firmware that took away those features. That's just not the case.

If Ford built a rocket car and you bought a non-rocket car, would the car without the rocket be crippled? no! you got exactly what you KNEW you were going to get.

If apple caves in to the demand for third party software, they will more than likely create a monopoly by allowing "apple certified" companies to develop apps, and selling them on iTuns as has been discussed on numerous blogs / threads.

The reason we're even HAVING this conversation is because the iPod / iPhone are quazi PDAs - they are more "computer" than music player. And from that perspective, I DO understand why people are annoyed...you would probably go postal if apple said you can't put 3rd party apps on your mac. But Apple has pretty much used the fairly powerful "PDA" for delivering music and some information. In a sense, I guess the ipod and iPhone really are slaves and prisoners of their programming.

I hope apple comes around to allowing third party apps on their own. When they do that, I will be thrilled. But for now, security has to win out over some bells and whistles...and the bragging rights of saying you hacked your pod/phone lol

12. Lin macrumors member

+1 to all the replies :D

>I have spent more than $15000
    Btw, I won't DARE to sum all the money I spent buying Macs (and Apple) computers since 1980... ;)

13. Lost Hammer macrumors newbie

So ****?

I spent my money on my ipod, it belongs to me, I'll do what I want to it?

14. Maxington macrumors 6502

I can see your point about mail and notes software that Apple developed, but I don't think anything is wrong with people who want to "mod" their iPod Touch to what they want it to and add 3rd party freeware...

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

only apple stocker owners will oppose this.

even if direct using apps from iPhone is illegal (see if apple sue people over it first), we can wait for 3rd party native email apps, who knows, maybe they will be even better than apples.:)

16. Adorada macrumors member

It doesn't bother me at all, but then again, I did jailbreak mine yesterday (stayed up til 3am just to get it, then went to school for 7:45). I can see your point though, but personally, I think that they should of added some of the apps in the first place. Pirating apps is somewhat different than pirating movies. Movies you don't pay for, apps (or atleast most of them) are free.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sense of entitlement. :rolleyes:

jailbreak and hack it all you want, just don't come complaining when/if it gets locked down and bricked because of an update.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

indeed, I was just about to remind people,

Do NOT perform Update from APPLE Until the Hackers You choose tell you its SAFE!

19. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

if i jailbreak my iPod and apple do anything to permently damage it...i will hurt apple

they may not have broken any laws...but they sold me something which i have limited use of...which i think of as a crime

tell me if this is not right?

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its not. you bought it. you modified the software rather can keep the approved software. they technically don't have to help you. its a 'closed' system. same as opening up a brand new MBP voids its warranty.

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its your device, you can do whatever you want.

apple is simply trying to protect its own market and business, and $$$, rather than give you best you can get for your money. so why not helping yourself? :)

imagine, even apple were to push out a iPDA, im sure as lazy as apple, it will be exactly same core as iPhone/iPT, since iPT is cheapest one, you buy it, hack it, then it do all what iPhone/iPDA can do, (except hardware limitations like BT and phone), apple sure won't be happy...

the purpose of voiding of warranty is to protect manufactories from user caused physical damages, exactly how do hacks damage the device itself? since it can be restored easily?

22. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i don't mean that they should help me...but that they shouldn't actively see out to hinder my efforts

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

apple already did it with iPhone 1.1.1 firmware update

but it doesn't take long for hackers to break it again :)

just don't do apple's update until you have the word of safety from ur hackers :)

24. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

lol...i don't plan on hacking my Touch until apple have released their software update in a few days (you call me a cynic:p)

25. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Okay, well it bothers me - the NERVE of some people!

(goes to check T-Mobile voicemail on the iPhone...)