Jailbreak Functionality Wish List

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by mrblack927, Jan 29, 2010.

1. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Hi All,

Now that the curtain has been lifted, a lot of the comments floating around have been related to features people wanted to see but apparently didn't make the cut (for this version, at least).

There's not a lot we can do about hardware shortcomings, but software... that's a different story.

Barring some unseen complications, the jailbreak community will likely have their way with the iPad within the first few weeks of its release, and the floodgates will open for a slew of "unsanctioned" functionality to be added to the iPad.

So the main question: What software hacks/patches would you most like to see once it does happen? What do you think we can reasonably implement to improve the current state of the device?

2. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

A filesystem, so I can download and store files

The ability to unrar files

VLC player

Multi tasking, so I can have a video running, msn open, and a web browser in the background

A new keyboard layout, the one I've seen on videos looks geared up for people who can't touch type, ie two finger typists.

I"m sure there are lots more things too, but they're the ones that spring to mind at the moment. I'd say a cam, but obviously that is a hardware issue and not a software hack

3. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

4. rowanmwilliams macrumors member

rowanmwilliams

i would love to see someone port OS X, it would require a lot of work however, creating drivers and such but it would be fun never the less.
    Just use the camera usb connector to attach a dvd burner/reader and then use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and your set.

other than that im not really sure what i would want on it? ill have to wait to get my hands on it first. IM sure the possibilities are endless though.

5. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

You sir are a genius! Should have thought of that my self :)

6. mrblack927 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Problem with that is OSX is written for the Intel architecture. The iPad uses an ARM processor. It's not possible without rewriting the OS for ARM.

7. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

Could an earlier version of OSX be used? Forgive my ignorance, but is ARM similar to PPC?

8. Legolover64 macrumors regular

It would be pretty rough. Someone would have to translate the instructions (the assembly, basically hardware-level) commands from x86/PPC to ARM, which would take a significant amount of effort. I am unsure if PPC and ARM use really different instruction set architectures, but I'd be willing to bet so, because of the ARM being a low-power mobile chip. Great idea though, some more OS X functionality would be very neat! :)

I am counting on some sort of ProSwitcher type of multitasking app, in addition to Springboard modifications (perhaps through MobileSubstrate) that let there be more icons or even widgets on the homescreen.

Also, some way to size down the UI windows so I can have, say, Safari and Pages open. I can hope...

9. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

Thanks for that

I think that a hybrid OS would have been best, I'm not sure how difficult it would have been from a coding perspective, but with a little effort I just feel they could have made this device a true netbook killer. It's just a shame it can't stand alone too.

10. mrblack927 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Yes, we all know full OSX on the iPad would be great, but it's just not possible. Okay technically nothing's impossible but if you know anything about cpu architectures or instruction sets you know what I mean. The iPad cpu is an embedded processor, similar to those used in most mobile devices. Any modern device that runs a desktop os uses an x86 cpu like intel or AMD. That's why most netbooks have an intel atom processor... so they can run desktop windows. It's not a matter drivers or anything simple like that. Its a low-level hardware difference. Embedded devices cannot run desktop OS's or vice versa. The best you could do is run the OS in emulation, which is far less efficient.

For better or worse, the iPad is stuck with iPhoneOS, all we can do is build on it.

11. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Wouldn't a hybrid OS require hybrid apps, so full-blown OS X applications are incompatible and possibly even some iPhone apps without serious rewriting? Not to mention the retooling involved in applications which rely on mouse input.

That's a lot of work for a lot of developers!

12. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

it might well do, but that's not my problem. It's the same problem that developers face all the time when a new OS is introduced or a new product etc etc. So I'm sure it's not something that should stand in the way of releasing a hybrid OS

I've actually just thought of something else that I would have found beneficial, user accounts/ fast user switching. The ability to have multiple user accounts is something I would most definitely find useful on a device like this. I wouldn't want to have someone sifting through my e mail, I"m aware the device will probably have the same locking feature as the iPhone or iPod Touch, but I can see me loaning this device for a few minutes or a few hours to another user.

13. mrblack927 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

So far the most interesting thing I've heard I think is the ability to have smaller windows so they may be used side by side... On an iPhone it's impractical but on the iPad it may well be a worthwhile hack;)

14. bossxii macrumors 68000

Ok, without getting to wrapped up with technical can and can't do here, It would seem you have some knowledge of how the full blown OS X uses resources and how full blown applications use CPU/RAM/GPU etc...

Taking the iPad as we know it from the Keynote. 1ghz CPU-all-in-one architecture for this example let's assume 512mb ram. (I haven't seen it listed but think 512mb is the amount in the iPhone.) We also will make the assumption OS X can run on the ARM chipset for this bit of discussion.

So based on these hardware spec's. What type of programs do you see people wanting to run on it?

- Photoshop/Photo editing? Not enough of anything really, would have to be 100% recoded. Adobe recoding software for Apple? Then sell it for what? $30 bucks?

-Games? Same problem for off the shelf games that are written for OSX, which rely/take advantage of powerful C2D or Quadcore CPU's, dedicated GPU w/lots of onboard ram and system ram. Developers would be writting games for a full blown desktop OS that already exists, but now on a less powerful platform. *See Win 7 on netboks, no one is flocking to RE write their programs for these low powered devices. Period. Ask anyone how they are enjoying streaming video on their Netbook? Anyone....? *crickets*

A full OS X tablet is somewhat pointless unless developer step up and REWRITE everything for touch interface. Windows 7 have already proven this for us on the few tablet that have it. Having used an Archos 9 tablet, trying to use an optical pad to move a mouse around to control Win 7 OS sucks. The OS doesn't not scale anything to make it easy to read, and who wants to revert to lower resolution just so you can read text or see a menu? People will end up realizing its much more efficient to just use a keyboard/mouse or find they have no other option and just learn to deal with it's shortcomings. I personally just returned it as it was entirely to sluggish to use, flash crippled it and playing vide on it was an absolute joke. Worse than netbooks I've tried.

Apple could have created the absolute most powerful FULL OSX tablet int he world, and without the RIGHT kind of software, it would still flop. Tablet PC's have been around for years and haven't caught on for this very reason. NO SOFTWARE OPTIMIZED FOR THE DEVICE. At least for mainstream adoption,i'm sure there are plenty of specialized uses.

Software drives device sales. Apple is simply harnessing the huge success of the app store to drive sales of the iPad, and Developers seem to be on board to create content for the new device as their old programs still run so they have a "choice" to upgrade and create new or go with what they have.

Games have driven the advancement of PC to become faster hardware wise for years. Most business can/could still run their POS software in a UNIX environment on a x86 machine just fine. Bottom line if you have followed tablet pc's over the years, there is a reason they have not gone mainstream. Apple, HP and every other computer maker know this and have worked for years to not only find a use, but have software that runs great on the device. Apple has what no one else does. Software specifically for their device. Blown up iPod Touch or not, this is how it will begin.

15. rowanmwilliams macrumors member

rowanmwilliams

Haha why thank you sir. Much appreciated.

Yeah, i figured there would be many many hurdles such as this to overcome. I haven't got the slightest on how the internals and coding works past basic common knowledge that most Apple/PC enthusiast would have.

By no means do i expect to see an OSX port i was just saying it would be nice too see what it would be like, the thread is a jailbreak wish list after all. For all intents and purposes i think a straight OSX port (if possible) would suck on a 10inch touch screen.

16. mrblack927 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

I completely agree with bossxii, the reason other tablets have failed, and the reason apple always seems to succeed, is because of custom targeted software. The iPad needs it's own OS to be a truly usable device.

HOWEVER, I find it endlessly frustrating that, while writing this new OS, apple decided to leave out everything that makes the tablet useful as a standalone computer. A file browser, multitasking, etc...

Just because it can't (and shouldn't) run full OSX doesn't mean the tabletOS couldn't have been written to do things like a desktop OS. It has iWork, and yet I can't plug in a USB drive, transfer some files over, unzip them, and open them in the corresponding iWork app without using a desktop computer? What the hell? It's like they stopped just short of the mark. This is why I'm looking forward to the jailbreak. Because most of the things I feel are missing from the iPad (with the exception of usb port(s) :mad:) can be added through jailbreak apps and patches.

17. hss1 macrumors member

Jailbreak possible issues

If the A4 Processor is customer designed then i think Jailbreaking will be very difficult maybe impossible, i am sure Steve Jobs advised the PA semi team to build extra ways to stop this in the A4 processor.

I fact he is rumoured to have told the PA Semi team to design processors for Iphone/Ipad but the design and spec to remain a secret not leaving the PA semi team.

18. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I would just like some of the functionality of a real computer, basically in terms of saving and using files. Such as the ability to download a file from the internet to the ipad and then use it on the ipad(seems simple enough).

It would be great to be able to download files through a torrent app, and then use them on the tablet, say watch a movie or tv show.

I also would love the ability to file share with other computers over a wireless network. So when I'm home, I could access my regular mac through the ipad and use any of the files it has on it. This would be great for me since I have a large movie collection on my mac mini that I would love to be able to access and watch on my ipad.

Of course I would like flash and multitasking, which are two of the most common complaints about the ipad.

If it had all that, I would very seriously think of using just the ipad as my main computer and get rid of my macbook.