Jailbreak gone bad

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Chips95, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Chips95 macrumors newbie

Sorry I posted this in the wrong place already, hope this is correct place now.

Can anyone help? iPhone 3GS, not loading iOS due to attempted jailbreak gone bad.
    I dont know iOS version or Firmware version. Also I don't know what jail break version was used or what method they used. Power on displays the USB and iTune icon. I tried the fixrecovery from a youtube vid but that didn't work. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp-gQ...eature=related)

My question: Not knowing iOS or firmware version, Is it possible to restore this phone to a function state? I don't know much about jailbreaking or restoring an iPhone. Don't know terms like baseband and what that is. And do the ipsw file include both the iOS and the firmware. I know nothing about the iPhone but consider myself a pc-tech and can follow your instructions.

Thanks in Advance

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Put it into DFU mode (Google it) and restore it in iTunes.

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If you know the term then you can easily google it and understand it. You don't need to know what firmware it is to restore to factory firmware. Just use iTunes to restore it. As Intell said, just put your iphone in DFU mode and restore it.

4. labman, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

labman macrumors 604

labman

it's going to benefit you to learn what your doing whether it's jailbreaking or sex. ;)

5. Chips95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jailbreak gone bad

@Intell & gngan, thanks for your reply. I have use Google since I posted and got a lot of information. iOS is/was? ver is 5.1.1 Build 9B206 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history
    I have downloaded a few tools, but haven't tried anything since my post at the top of this thread. Before the above post, I did try the restore via iTunes after being prompted to do so before iTunes work with the phone; this process ended with the message:

"This device is not eligible for the requested build."

That process downloaded the following from apple server: iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw, to X:\Documents and Settings\Chips95\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates, which I moved before trying another method as follows.

I tried the FDU mode with fixrecovery.exe and zlib1.dll following this youtube video but that didn't work, after the scrolling data in the dos window finished and the window automatically closed, the screen on the phone was white for about 30 minutes followed by a reboot displaying the same recovery mode usb and iTunes icon indicating a restore is necessary.

I decided to try a local restore, I search for and downloaded a few ipsw files. Going into dfu mode and shift restore to browse to the downloaded ipsw file did not work. So I think this may have something to do with blobs, so I'm looking into that right now. I want to confirm that the phone do have blob saved, and if not, do I still have other options.

Any help is appreciated.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Check your hosts file for any references to gs.apple.com and remove them and restart your computer. (Google how) Have you also tried a different computer?

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

you do not need blobs for firmware still being signed such as 5.1.1 only if you are downgrading firmware. If your restoring to stock put it in dfu mode (black screen) while pulled in and restore as new though itunes.

8. Chips95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jailbreak gone bad

Yes, I had checked the host file, no reference to the apple server.

Just tried to restore 5.1.1 via dfu mode which ended with the message: This device isn't eligible for the requested build. - why am I getting this message?

How do I know if the phone is really in DFU mode? I thought it was when iTunes tells you that the phone is in recovery mode with the phone displaying the USB and iTunes icons, but osXdaily says when the phone is in DFU mode the screen is completely blank.

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Yeah, but you can fumble your way through sex. Lots more instructional vids on the interwebs too. :p

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

DFU is a black screen.
    Do you have installed the iPad BB (6.15.00) by any chance? If so, you need to create a custom IPSW to be able to restore since it cannot restore w/ iTunes if the iPad BB is installed.

11. Chips95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jailbreak gone bad

I don't know exactly what's on the phone now because I didn't attemp the JB, someone else did. and I guess he didn't research enough because he can't tell me what he did, what ver iOS or BB before JB or what ipsw he attempted to install. My original question in the 1st post is it possible to bring this phone back to life without knowing what ver iOS or BB before JB and what ipsw he attempted to install.

12. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Download TinyUmbrella.

Connect phone to USB

Open TU, on the main page it should give you current installed iOS and current modemversion/BaseBand

13. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

OP, follow this link to download the official 5.1.1 firmware for the 3GS. After its done downloading (it's a huge file...prolly like 800mb), enter DFU mode (its a black screen and not the screen with the iTunes and cable logo...that's recovery mode), plug your phone into your computer, go to iTunes. Hold the shift key and click on restore. Navigate to this newly downloaded, official copy of 5.1.1 and then let iTunes do its thing. This will bring your 3gs to the most recent firmware.

Once updated you can untether jailbreak it with absinthe or redsn0w.

Do you require an unlock? If so, I think the poster before me regarding the iPad baseband might be on to something. If you require an unlock, it's possible your 3GS uses the iPad 6.15 baseband and therefore the steps are different than what I just listed.

Here's the link for the 5.1.1 firmware.

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5.1.1/041-4347.20120427.o2yov/iPhone2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw

Edit: I noticed in your post from earlier today you looked at Wikipedia to figure out the most current firmware. And you're correct it's 5.1.1. However I noticed right after that you said this...

"That process downloaded the following from apple server: iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw"

You tried to restore your 3GS to ios 3.1.3. That's your problem. Follow my directions and you should be on the right track.

14. Chips95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jailbreak gone bad

I got into DFU mode with the black screen, shift + restore, 5.1.1.ipsw, and iTunes says "this device isn't eligible for the requested build"

I used tinyumbrella to get the blob and TU says zero shsh found.

Is there another route I can go with this or is the phone bricked with no way to unbrick?

Attached Files:

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try a completely different computer using a completely different internet connection.

16. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Just to clarify, if you are trying to install 5.1.1 firmware, then blobs are completely irrelevant. Blobs are only needed for installing an older firmware.

Like another poster mentioned, your phone might have the iPad baseband. If that's the case, you need to create a No_BB version of that newly downloaded 5.1.1 firmware. I don't unlock so I can't help with that. It's easy though. Either someone can chime in with the steps or you can google it. If the phone has the iPad baseband that would explain why you can't install the stock 5.1.1. When a phone has the iPad BB, you must install a custom firmware. After creating the file, the file name will begin with NO_BB.

Hope that helps. Try doing a no baseband upgrade install of the 5.1.1 firmware. Hopefully that'll work.

17. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

Get an iPhone 4 or 4s and be done with it....3GS is long in the tooth anyway....but if you can follow intstructions then it shouldn't be too hard to fix....5.1.1 is signed!!

18. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Do you have the latest iTunes installed?

You never answered as to whether you need an unlock as asked above...

If you have the latest iTunes, and you're 100% sure that you've selected the correct firmware for your device (browse iClarified to make sure), then I would do as suggested above and try a different computer/internet connection.

19. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

While I agree the 3GS is long in the tooth, apple will still support the 3GS with iOS6 so it's not like the phone is obsolete.

ZCherub: FYI, the download link I gave him for the 5.1.1 firmware for the 3GS was taken directly from iClarified so I know it's official.

20. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Cool - never hurts to double check!

21. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Funny thing is I recently came back to this post and I reread that and I was asking myself why I got so defensive haha.

Rule number one of jailbreaking is always double check before you do anything! And here I am telling the OP and yourself that there's zero chance that link is bad. Haha I broke my own numer one rule!

22. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

No worries - didn't intereperate it as you being defensive at all. Just stating that I always follow your number one rule :)