Jailbreak? Help out a noob?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ThunderApple, Sep 29, 2010.

1. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

Super long story short, Ive had my iPhone 3GS since last Sept, fresh from Apple, my first iPhone. Been over a year, bought a bunch of Apps and i love it.

Been looking around the forum and Ive seen some really cool themes and stuff you can do once jailbroken.

Im wanting to jailbreak my iPhone now to just get these extra features.
    Thing is, i dont know crap about Jail Breaking. I know you can get free apps, themes, and just change the overall layout. But how do you jail break it?
    I dont know where to begin. Is there different jailbreaking methods? Im afriad if i jailbreak it with a wrong one or something its gonna slow down my iPhone or damage it.

Just wanting from info and help please. Where to start? How to Jailbreak? Whats the best program out to Jailbreak? I know winterboard is some app or company or something that gives the theme and cydia also gives theme and apps i believe? Anyway if anyone can help me out and break it down for me I would be thankful.

2. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Start with the sticky at the top of the forum http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=983491 . Google works, too. Know the iPhone and where settings are so that you can discover the firmware you're currently at. You should know the history of the phone and find out if it's been jailbroken before. TinyUmbrella has some good basic information on SHSH hashes (also called blobs). Read through the posts and become familiar with some terms.

3. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I have. But there is only so much i can read. I read the basic stuff. My iPhone was bought from the Apple Store, not from someone and is running 4.1.
    Thanks for the help!

Anyone else? :confused: Still wanting to Jailbreak.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it's on 4.1 and probably you didn't save any shsh files for previous firmware then you cannot jb at the moment.

5. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

unrelated but holy crap Applejuiced! you changed your avatar!!!

6. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

Dude I love it! Haha, it fit's very well with the Demi-God title.

7. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

-sigh-.....Thanks for the help guys. There is PM for a reason. :D

Can anyone help please?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry bro, but we did help you above.
    You cannot JB it right now. You have to wait for the 4.1 jailbreak to be released.

9. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I've given this advice before and I'll give it again: Research. Simply asking "how do I jailbreak?" will not get you where you want to be. The best thing to do is Google and read through threads here on MR. Yes, it may take some time and effort but the payoff will be rewarding. I learned about Jailbreaking (and I'm still learning) over the course of months not hours. After I had ingested all I could, THEN I asked questions about the components of Jailbreaking that I didn't understand.

For me, the best thing about Jailbreaking is the journey, not the destination. It's so much fun discovering how to do different things with your iPhone. Once I've conquered a problem trying to do something new on the phone, I like to move on to the next problem.

Read. Learn. Then ask.

Applejuiced: Great avatar! That's where I train here in Phoenix. I've been at World Gym and Powerhouse here in town too.

10. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I kinda liked the Installous avatar.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very well said, I feel the same way. Its a continuous learning process as newer hacks, jailbreaks, unlock tools and new packages are released.
    Thanks bro, I love Golds too. Powerhouse kicks a$s also I heard but never been to one yet.

I might start rotating a bunch of different ones then:D

12. dgstan macrumors 6502a

You guys have got me all nostalgic and I'm reminiscing about my first jailbreak. I can't remember why I wanted to JB my 3G other than reading on Gizmodo that it was the thing to do. I knew nothing about what I was doing, but followed the directions and it all worked. I had the same concerns as everyone else, but when every single thing I read said that you can always restore, it tempered my fears.

I loaded SBSettings and Winterboard and so many themes that the phone was slowed to a crawl. I'm an old UNIX guy, so I was really impressed to see a familiar file system. Finally, I discovered the killer app, which back then was PDANet.

What I'm saying is that maybe it's not really important to know why you want to jailbreak or what you're going to do with it. It's a voyage of discovery.

It's like when you start 8th grade and see how hot the girls look. You don't know why you want it or what you'd do with it if you could get it - you just knew you had to have it and you would figure out the rest later.