Jailbreak Help :)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by KSR, Jan 23, 2011.

1. KSR macrumors newbie

I need a few answers about jailbreaking. I have never had an iPod Touch before and never jailbroken... >.>

I have a iPod Touch 3rd Generation running iOS 4.2.1 and it's always had that software since I bought it off of my friend. It has never been jailbroken either, which all the methods I find for jailbreaking says you need to have been jailbroken recently. Please help. :/

Also, what is SHSH blobs? D:

2. Crigger540 macrumors member

Crigger540

you might want to wait a bit, an untethered jailbreak is coming out for 4.2.1 any second now.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It was supposed to be out by Christmas. Don't hold your breath.

4. KSR thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard it was supposed to come out for Christmas, but we're still waiting now. I've had my iPod Touch for about 2 weeks now and I'm getting kinda tired of waiting. I want all the cool features of being jailbroken. I guess I may have to wait a bit longer than, huh? >.<

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Is the iPod Touch not usable without being jailbroken?

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Why don't you just jailbreak it tethered now? It's not difficult and a tethered jailbreak is really no big deal.

7. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

8. Synthion macrumors regular

Listen up!

Okay.

Redsn0w public release was supposed to come out by christmas, but was pushed back indefinitely. So, I am looking at Greenpois0n, they have a working, untethered jailbreak, but they have not released it yet. (they have video proof) So if you want to wait, it shouldn't be too long.

If you want to do it NOW. Then download a 4.1 ipsw. Just google "iPod Touch 3g iOS 4.1 IPSW" and download one. Then go to iTunes, connect device, and go to device menu. Hold down (option for mac, i think shift for windoze) and click restore. A menu should pop-up asking you to select IPSW. (If it says are you sure you want to restore, click no!)(If it's not shift on windoze, try a few different keys) Select the ipsw you just downloaded, and click through all the "are you sure"s. Then make a sandwich. This will take a while. But, while it's restoring, download a jailbreak tool. I recommend either Greenpois0n (for simplicity), or Redsn0w (for a more advanced user). You can also use limera1n and pwnagetool. When you have finally downgraded, use one of the tools to jailbreak. I won't walk you through this process, especially if you are using greenpois0n, but I warn you, don't freak out when you see scary command line computer language, just let it work itself out, once finished, you should either see a white icon or cydia. If you see a white icon, use it to install cydia.

Congratulations. You have freed your device.

9. KSR thread starter macrumors newbie

But don't you need to have already been that software once in order to downgrade? I tried downgrading before but it says something about the software not being compatible, or something of that sort.

10. KSR thread starter macrumors newbie

When I try to downgrade to 4.1, it states "The iPod "iPod" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible."... >.>

11. macuserjhs macrumors regular

There is an untethered beta out for 4.2.1 but you might not be able to use bluetooth or listen to music. but that defeats the purpose of an ipod.

12. KSR thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got it to downgrade to 4.0 instead. :D Now how do I go about the jailbreak?!

13. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

14. Synthion macrumors regular

Go for JailbreakMe.com

or Redsn0w, pwnage tool, or others

15. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Jailbreakme.com on your iPod to jailbreak. ;)