iPhone Jailbreak Help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by username32, Mar 13, 2015.

1. username32 macrumors newbie

I have to jailbreak my iPhone 4S.
    I'm confused.

I have 2 choices-
    Either jail break iOS 8.1.2, it will give me every feature one can think of. But no speed enhancement. Rather it may slow the device a bit, which is already slower as compared to earlier versions of iOS.

Or

Firstly downgrade to iOS 6.1.3, the device will be faster, then jail break it to get features of ios 8 as well as every other feature. But there are hell lot of changes in both versions of iOS (Changes in iOS are described well in tables of http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_iOS). I'll have to get hundreds of tweaks to eliminate the difference. Also the look and feel of stock apps will be very ugly. (iOS 8 stock apps are much more functional as well as beautiful than iOS 6).

Which option should I consider?

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

you can NOT downgrade to iOS 6.1.3 so if you want to jailbreak, your device currently needs to be on 8.1.2 or lower (if you're on iOS 8)

3. username32, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

username32 thread starter macrumors newbie

My device is currently on iOS 8.1.2.

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

being able to restore to a specific version doesn't depend on whether you have the firmware ipsw file or not. It's entirely up to whether apple is signing that version or not

if apple is not signing for the iOS version you want to restore to, there is no way to restore to it

there are workarounds for the iPhone 4 and below using SHSH blobs because of a bootrom exploit but the 4S and above have no known exploits to allow you to restore to any version you want to

5. username32 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can easily downgrade. There are numerous ways including jailbreak tools which can be used for downgrading. For any queries check this link. http://insanelyios.blogspot.in/2014/03/downgrade-ios-7-6.1.3-6.1.4-to-6.1.2.html

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Well, as far as I'm aware of, there is no "hack" to do and there hasn't been since the iOS 5 days

I may not have been too up to date with the jailbreak world these past few months but I don't think the downgrade situation has changed

If you believe you can restore to any version you want, then there should not be any risk in trying out the different firmwares. But I strongly believe these do not work

Before you do anything, I'd recommend waiting for another forum member to chime in about the whole downgrading situation

7. username32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Before going completely out of topic.
    My original question was what is better
    i) Jailbroken iOS 6.1.3 iPhone 4S
    ii) Jaibroken iOS 8.1.2 iPhone 4S
    considering both speed as well as features.

8. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Jailbreak Help

There is no "better" option. It's all opinion. A 4S will run faster under iOS 6, but it will not have all the features like handoff and continuity in iOS 8. Certain apps will also no longer run on iOS 6. You would have to decide what is important to you.

That said, the link you provided looks completely bogus.

9. blueflower macrumors 6502

I would opt for jailbreaking 8.1.2 and the main reasons I would do this are security, aesthetics and functionality. The secondary reason is that since you aren't on ios 6 I know you cannot downgrade to ios 6 so you are only faced with option jailbreaking your current ios 8.1.2.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I unfortunately have lost my jailbreak, but if I had the choice I would say 6.1.3.

I prefer iOS 6 and when I was jailbroken on it I had everything iOS 7/8 does via tweak or app.

That said, OP, you can provide all the links you want but the fact is that unless you have an iPhone 4 you cannot downgrade.

Try if you don't believe me, or us, just don't expect any help if things are messed up because you chose not to believe us.

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

It would be a banner headline if it was possible to legitimately download and use 6.1.3 on an iPhone4S.

12. username32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear forum members,
    Thanks for advice. I'll jail break my iOS 8.1.2

13. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Why don't you try first to downgrade to 6.1.3.
    I am very curious :) In any case, you would be the first one ever :)

14. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

There's hope that a method to downgrade will be out soon. Semaphore (developer of tinyumbrella) has hinted on twitter that he will be releasing that method to the public soon

Granted, I think you would still need SHSH blobs to do so

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have an August 2014 backup from iOS 6 waiting for me if so. Unfortunately, no bobs. Sigh.