Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Hey, i understand that musclenerd already jailbroke iOS beta 5.. but does anyone know how this can be done? i understand its a tethered jailbreak, but i wanted to try it out if possible, thanks!

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
Hey, i understand that musclenerd already jailbroke iOS beta 5.. but does anyone know how this can be done? i understand its a tethered jailbreak, but i wanted to try it out if possible, thanks!

havent released any info yet...stay up to date on his twitter.

ACardAttack

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
havent released any info yet...stay up to date on his twitter.

would it be safe to assume he wouldnt release the tool that way they dont make the hole easier to patch for apple before the release of iOS5 or is it the same hole from 4.3 and such or did he say?

Cortezbanks

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
would it be safe to assume he wouldnt release the tool that way they dont make the hole easier to patch for apple before the release of iOS5 or is it the same hole from 4.3 and such or did he say?

It's a bootrom exploit so it can be a tethered jailbreak for life. To untether the jailbreak there needs to be a userland exploit

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
i wish i could get it somehow.. does the dev team release tools for betas?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Even if there was a public jailbreak out there, I doubt it would be of much use. Every time there is a major upgrade for iOS, all the jailbroken tools/apps cease to work until the authors update.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Having lived the beta cycles for 3 and 4, I'm now very happy to wait. Too many apps I depend on don't work under iOS 5 beta 1.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Why are you so eager? Are you are an app developer?

im not an app developer. if tweaks dont work then there would be no point. id really just like it for sbsettings. but i guess ill have to wait.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
Having lived the beta cycles for 3 and 4, I'm now very happy to wait. Too many apps I depend on don't work under iOS 5 beta 1.
+1 on this. After the beta got progressively worse as the day wore on, forcing several reboots, I decided to revert back to 4.3.3 and jailbreak it. Nice to have my phone back with all the apps working again and at a senseable speed.

We've got a good 3 months of betas, so I'll give it a go again when it's more usable day to day.

The Tos

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Buffalo, New York
+1 on this. After the beta got progressively worse as the day wore on, forcing several reboots, I decided to revert back to 4.3.3 and jailbreak it. Nice to have my phone back with all the apps working again and at a senseable speed.

We've got a good 3 months of betas, so I'll give it a go again when it's more usable day to day.

I agree with waiting out the first few betas. That way any major kinks will be worked out.

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
Does anyone know if they have released tethered jailbreaks of betas before? I can't seem to remember...

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Does anyone know if they have released tethered jailbreaks of betas before? I can't seem to remember...

I don't think JBs will be released on betas, just because they change so fast.

I think a tethered JB for iOS 5.0 when it goes GA will be available fairly soon. Untethered, who knows.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

I did this with Lion (trying it out then reverting to SL as DP1 was too buggy and am now using it as it's on DP4. That said, I'm using Beta 1 of iOS 5 and it seems pretty damn stable. I don't have many apps that I would say I need and all that I enjoy are working, but to each their own. Actually, first installation was pretty buggy, so I did DFU restore and re-downloaded the ipsw, now it's great.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Because the iOS5 beta is already jailbroken, does that mean it is inevitable that the iOS5 GM will be jailbroken?

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Because the iOS5 beta is already jailbroken, does that mean it is inevitable that the iOS5 GM will be jailbroken?

Depends on the hardware and the JB method. The iOS 5 GM could force a BB update that would soft-brick the device until a DFU restore is done if the BB detects tampering.

If I were to guess, a tethered JB would almost be definite if Apple didn't put anti-tamper code in the BB load. Untethered, who knows. On new hardware such as the next iPhone, all bets are off. The iPad2 has resisted all known attacks to the hardware, and I'm sure the next iPhone will be the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.