Jailbreak iPad or iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by pmg4lktan, Aug 30, 2011.

1. pmg4lktan macrumors newbie

Hihi~

I have both an iPad and the iPad 2. I would like to jailbreak one of them just for the purpose of playing some tweaks, such as the flash mod, RetinaPad etc... However, I am unsure of choosing which one to jailbreak... I want to keep another iPad "clean" of JB though, as I am aware that jailbroken device will encounter problems during in-app purchases...

Ok, more detail on my devices. My iPad had been with me for almost a year and it is still on stock firmware version, the iOS 4.2.1. Some apps are already incompatible, but I am unable to upgrade it to 4.3.3 for the super-simple jailbreakme.com as Apple is blocking old firmware update. My iPad 2 on the other hand, is on 4.3.3 (stock firmware too), and both devices are still un-jailbroken.

I would like to have some advice on which one should I jailbreak and why. Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for reading.

Best regards from,
    pmg4lktan

2. braaains macrumors newbie

I've had my iPhone 3GS jailbroken at every firmware level since I got it (3.1.3), and my iPad2 within 2 minutes of me plugging it into iTunes. I've never had a single problem with in app purchases.
    In fact I've only ever heard of one problem with them and it was due to appsync putting your account into sandbox mode (this was a long time ago) - as long as you arent planning on pirating apps you won't have appsync installed so won't have any problems.

Personally I'd jailbreak them all :)

3. pmg4lktan thread starter macrumors newbie

ohya, thanks for reminding, forgot about the appsync thingy... :eek:

another concern is about upgrading OS... seems like jailbroken devices need to be restored everytime upgrading iOS (correct me if i'm wrong)... thanks for your feedback... =)

best regards from,
    pmg4lktan

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Jailbroken devices do not need to be restored prior to updating. With iOS 4 and down, updates completely restore the OS anyway, so essentially you are performing a restore by updating. This is why you unjailbreak and remove jailbreak content by updating.

I understand your skepticism, but I assure you that if you only install well tested software from Cydia onto your iPad, you will not see any problems occur. I avoid stuff like new themes, which is likely to cause a slight decrease in battery life/increase in memory usage. Instead I found Jailbreaking highly useful for apps like RetinaPad, iFile, Activator, Switchermod, BTstack, NoLockScreen, etc. Plus, I really wanted to be able to play my snes roms on the iPad.

I would just jailbreak the iPad 2 since your on the correct firmware for it. Make a backup prior to jailbreaking for peace of mind, and if you don't like it, then you can just update. You will probably want to update to iOS 5 anyway, so why not see what jailbreaking can offer in the meantime.

5. pmg4lktan thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks zz, so i just jailbroken my iPad 2 using the wonderful jailbreakme.com!

so, does that means i will not need to restore my iPad when i am to update the firmware to 4.3.5 or iOS5 when it comes out?

best regards from,
    pmg4lktan

6. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

nope you will not need to restore. Updating to 4.3.5 performs a similar action in regards to the operating system. Updating will remove your jailbreak and all associated apps/modifications. That's why when you update each time, you always have to download such a large file. The update process under iOS 4 thoroughly replaces existing rather than just updating portions. iOS 5 does not work this way though, so I can't say whether updating will completely clean jailbreak content in the new OS version. In the meantime try one of the many useful free utilities from cydia.

7. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Remember that 4.3.5 disables the exploit that people have been using to get an un-tethered jailbreak.

It'll be annoying to some people having to reconnect to a computer to get the iPad working again when it powers down for any reason.

As to the iPad vs iPad 2, all other things being equal, there is only a slight advantage to the iPad 2. It'll be slightly faster and be able to utilize memory demands slightly better, but I haven't seen anybody writing jailbreak applications who knows what to do with multicore technology, yet. This makes a jailbroken iPad very close to the performance of a jailbroken iPad 2 when using Cydia applications.

That's just one old man's subjective observation, of course, and it's not like I have quantifiable evidence. :)