Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
I know we'll know for sure real soon, but I was just wondering if there's any expectation one way or the other regarding how likely the ipad2 will be jailbreak-able, either with the current apps or with current known but unused exploits.

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
I know we'll know for sure real soon, but I was just wondering if there's any expectation one way or the other regarding how likely the ipad2 will be jailbreak-able, either with the current apps or with current known but unused exploits.

usually the Dev Team keeps quiet on exploits, but with 3 betas to work with I'm sure they're ready to go with iOS 4.3 jailbreak when it's released with the iPad 2 as expected. Don't see why Apple would make any hardware changes that would put the breaks on Jailbreaking. Unlocking is a totally different animal so we'll have to see....

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Don't see why Apple would make any hardware changes that would put the breaks on Jailbreaking. Unlocking is a totally different animal so we'll have to see....
There could be legitimate reasons to stop a jailbreak. They are an open security hole that allows access to the device. By closing the jailbreak they are restricting one way to access secure data stored on the device.
I like jailbreaks, but I don't like the idea that somebody can plug a password protected phone into a computer and easily download all text messages and contacts from it.

jake4ever

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
Ma'on La'oved, Hadera, Israel

Currently, there are no known ways to exploit/jailbreak the iPad 2, as the device hasn't come out yet.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
seriously? apple has kept a pretty light lid on the ipad 2 besides a ton of internet rumors. so how would anyone know anything about jailbreaking it at this point!?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

way , way wayyyyyyyyyyy too early to tell, iPad2 is a whole new device, new processor, new firmware (with new drivers to support the new devices), new interfaces, new internal devices, most of drivers are going to be updated, HDMI out support, so all those changes mean that pretty much anything we curretnly have is pretty much useless, until someone can get their hands on it and on the 4.3 GM release, there isn't much work that can be done.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
BUT

Considering that IOS 4.3 just want GM today - it would then show that iPAD 2 will be shipping with 4.21 on it.

which IS jailbreakable.

But when u first connect it to iTunes it's gonna ask you to update to 4.3 which we will just decline for the time being....

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
BUT

Considering that IOS 4.3 just want GM today - it would then show that iPAD 2 will be shipping with 4.21 on it.

which IS jailbreakable.

But when u first connect it to iTunes it's gonna ask you to update to 4.3 which we will just decline for the time being....

I doubt that the iPad 2 will ship with 4.2.1 Just because the GM was released to developers today doesn't mean that apple hasn't been sitting on it for a week or two.

Cha

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
The jailbreak is not just software-based... So even if 4.2.1 is shipped with it (I think 4.3 will be on it), unless the bootrom exploit works on the new hardware then it will not be jailbreakable at the beginning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.