Jailbreak iPhone 3G with iOS 4? Please help!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by twhancock, Jun 19, 2011.

1. twhancock macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3G and I am wondering if it is possible for me to jailbreak it with iOS 4. I'm a bit of a noob as far as jailbreaking goes and most of what I'm finding online is either for people to jailbreak their 3G with iOS 3, or for people with an iPhone 3GS or 4 which of course is not me. I want muli-tasking, background customization, etc., but can't afford to upgrade my device to 3GS or 4. I have read that it is possible to bring these new features to the 3G device via jailbreaking, but it's scattered across different sources and I would like someone more knowledgeable than I on this (if it can even be done) to point me in the right direction so I don't end up bricking my phone or something. Thanks in advance for anything you can contribute :)

-Tyler

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Redsn0w can enable all of these features for you.

3. twhancock thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, I was under the impression it would be a lot more difficult than it was. Ran Redsn0w and my phone is now successfully jailbroken. Now just to figure out how to take advantage of all this new freedom! :D Thanks for your simple but effective advice! haha

-Tyler

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

No worries man! All of the features you mentioned that you wanted are enable-able right on Redsn0ws homescreen without even going into Cydia after you jailbreak. However, you might want to look into SSH-ing into your iPhone 3G and removing things like certain launch daemons as well as language packs (except English and Japanese). This will speed up your device slightly as iOS4 really slows down the 3G in my opinion. There are many guides on the internet on how to do this. Also, check out a tweak called "Fakeclockup", it speeds up the User Interface animations, giving the illusion of a faster device. You can't find it by searching in Cydia but if you do a Google search for "fakeclockup repo" you should be able to find the repo and add it as a source in Cydia. and last but not least, enjoy your jailbroken iPhone! I frequent these forums helping people who are new and new-ish to the JB/UL scene so if you need anything just make another thread or PM me!