Jailbreak iphone 3gs with 3.1 firmware

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by glasszon, Apr 16, 2010.

1. glasszon macrumors newbie

As stated in the title I am trying to jailbreak my iphone. Unfortunately I haven't upgraded it to 3.1.2 before apple stop signing for them, so I have to attempt to jailbreak it with the 3.1 firmware.

I know blackra1n works but I rather not use it because of the problems others have reported, is there any other tools I can use to jailbreak my iphone or am I stuck until 4.0 comes out?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. glasszon thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a look at redsnow before, but I thought it only works for iphone with 3.0/3.0.1/3.1.2 firmware and doesn't work with 3.1 firmware?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im not 100% either, I asked the same a while back and noone was sure either.
    I'd say if you dont need an unlock then go with the blackrain. Mostly bugs have been reported with the blacksnow unlock and not so much with blackrain JB.

5. glasszon thread starter macrumors newbie

I might just give redsnow a try and see how that turns out. Even if it doesn't work it won't turn my iphone into a brick right? I have the SHSH file for 3.1 so I can restore if required.

The reason I really want to stay away from blackrain is because I don't have time to fix any problems that can arise, I assume pwnagetool doesn't work with 3.1 either? (I don't have mac but I could set one up using VMware if needed)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, give it a try.
    If you got your SHSH saved locally for 3.1 you will be able to restore to it.
    Or maybe JB with blackrain and then once JB update to custom 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 created with pwnagetool assuming you dont have a tethered JB.

7. glasszon thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried it on redsnow, totally a no go. It wouldn't even accept the 3.1 firmware. Would it work if I give redsnow the 3.1.2 firmware to start and use it to jailbreak my 3.1 iphone 3gs?

The error message it gave was "Unable to recognize specified IPSW"

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Sorry for hi-hacking your thread but I've got something to ask. I am also on the boat. I think i have my 3.0 or 3.1 SHSH stored through Cydia. Does this mean i cannot JB if anything happens to my iphone? At least, for now.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Redsn0w works fine for 3.1. I have personally used it to jailbreak my 3GS on 3.1. This was before it was updated for 3.1.2, but if it no longer will accept the 3.1 firmware, simply point it to the 3.1.2 firmware instead. The firmware is similar enough that there should be no problem tricking Redsn0w into working just as you can with other minor updates.

If you have your SHSH saved in Cydia, then you most certainly can restore your phone to whatever version you have saved and then jailbreak with Redsn0w or PwnageTool. That's the whole point of saving your SHSH.

10. glasszon thread starter macrumors newbie

Any chance you remember which redsn0w version you used? I downloaded the latest one from the official website and it just refuse to take the 3.1 firmware. Already tried once by pointing it to a 3.0 firmware, failed and had to restore my iphone. (Luckily I still have a 3.1 SHSH saved up)

gngan: You won't have to worry, since you can downgrade to 3.0, you are in just about the best position possible, you can always revert back to 3.0 and go from there.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe try pointing it to 3.1.2

12. glasszon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, finally got it solved. Pointing redsnow to 3.1.2 does work, although it requires 2 attempts, the first attempt I followed the instructions properly but while redsnow shows jailbreak completed but nothing happened to my iphone.

So now I have an iphone jailbreaked by redsnow, yay!:D

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I went into Cydia and check which firmware I stored. It said, "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1,3.1.2,3.13". The funny thing is, i am not in 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 and have never updated to those firmware. How could Saurik have those SHSH of my iphone?

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This has been explained over and over here.

Once you save your first set of SHSH blobs (3.1 in your case) Saurik's server saves every subsequent SHSH blob for every version of firmware that Apple signs. When 4.0 is released to the public, 4.0 will be added to the list, whether you update to 4.0 or not.

The firmware on your phone has zero bearing on what firmware SHSH is being saved. The firmware currently being signed by Apple determines what is saved.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, gotta love Saurik.
    He will save all your SHSH's from now on. Not just the first SHSH's you requested for 3.1 but every one of them since.