Jailbreak iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by zirosky, Apr 27, 2017.

1. zirosky macrumors regular

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Have you downgraded iTunes per the suggestion of the article?

What about trying it through the other tethered jailbreak and then installing the p0sixspwn package?

3. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

I didnt downgraded iTues as I use also an iPHone 7!

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You must downgrade iTunes to jailbreak your 3Gs, then once it is jailbroken you can update it back to the latest version.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That is probably the problem then.

Maybe try this on a different computer?

6. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

I only have this macbook... but downgrading itunes will make me lose any data that I have now?

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I suspect it might. But, I don't know for certain.

If it were me, I'd move any backups I had to a safe place, downgrade, do the JB then reupgrade and move my backups back.

That said, I don't know if that would work or not. It's not something I've ever really tried as I rarely back up to iTunes (there is only one computer at home I could possibly back up to). Most of my backups are to iCloud.

8. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

But why do you think I need to downgrade iTunes, I mean to jailbreak I don't need to run iTunes?!

Or maybe do you think I can create a new account on my mac and downgrade there iTunes?

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Did you read the entirety of the link you posted?

Down towards the bottom it mentions that some people had success with this by downgrading iTunes.

As to why you need to have iTunes at all think about it. How do you get stuff from your computer to your iDevice?

Through iTunes right? Which means that it's iTunes that is communicating with your device.

Jailbreaking apps leverage that relationship that iTunes has with your iDevice. Without iTunes (even if iTunes is not running when you jailbreak) there is no way to communicate with your device to jailbreak it.

But each jailbreak has different requirements. When I had an iPhone 6+ I had to downgrade iTunes myself in order to jailbreak iOS 8.1. The jailbreak kept failing without the downgrade. Why? Because the lower version of iTunes is what the JB devs who created that jailbreak used.

It's really up to you though. If this is a hassle to you then you may wish to reconsider jailbreaking as there are potential issues and problems that can come up that make this kind of thing look insignificant.

PS. The components that iTunes installs are system-wide. You can create a dozen new accounts on your computer if you want, they all will share the same version of iTunes. You can't pick and choose which version you want installed for which account. It doesn't work that way.

10. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

oh okay thanks... then I think it is not worth... Unless I can downgrade iTunes creating another account on my Mac and downgrading it only for that account...