Jailbreak iPhone 4 4.2 GM

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iSaxon, Nov 7, 2010.

1. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Is there any way to jailbreak my iPhone 4 running 4.2 GM?

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I don't think cydia has been updated to work with 4.2 but I suppose you could jailbreak it with limer41n. It might be tethered, though, as comex's userland exploit has likely been patched.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wow most Jailbreakers wait Limera1n and Greenp0sion both will support 4.2 but Cydia is still being tweaked to support 4.2. most apps in Cydia will also have to be updated to support 4.2. I am planing on waiting at least a couple weeks after 4.2 official release before updating. jailbreak will be soon but the unlock could be a while.

4. iSaxon thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Ok, thanks for the replies. I did not know. I will just keep 4.1 for a while then. Thanks

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good things come to those.....
    What good is a jb if no jb stuff will work yet?

6. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

I was under the impression that LR & GP were both permanent jailbreaks. That was one of the big reasons that I was happy with Limera1n. I understand that Cydia may not play nice with 4.2, but I would make sure that the JB carries on when I update the phone to iOS 4.2. Actually, I'd have to look back to see what is so important in 4.2 that would make us want it. iPad users might want 4.2 more than phone users.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

afain what good is the Jailbreak if the apps you like either won't work crash your device or you can't use it. the Jailbreak should work but it may be tethered for now. I will wait a couple weeks after 4.2 official release I sure that will JB from day one. for me if it wasn't for Jailbreaking I'd probably give up my iPhone!

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

who learn to use search...is the answer

9. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

The permanancy of the JB is premised upon the JB being tethered.

There is no guarantee for an untethered JB for all, as the exploit only guarantees a tethered JB, every new iOS will require a new userland exploit.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:)
    That is true.

11. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

If tethered means jailbreaking by plugging into a computer, then I have no problem with that. But, if I have to rejailbreak with each new iOS update, I will join you guys in the waiting room. I'm about to actually buy my first couple of apps. I will NEED them to keep working. I'm sure I can hold out upgrading until the new JBs are completed.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry to bring the bad news but you do need to rejailbreak with each iOS update. Always been like that and will be.

13. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Tethered means plugging into a computer to rerun the JB every time the phone needs to be rebooted, not just when you first jailbreak the phone. Phone goes haywire while you're a three hour drive from home and your computer? You're without a phone until you get back.

To me, a tethered jailbreak isn't a practical option for a phone I actually depend on. I'll stick with 4.0 or 4.1 until they get a userland JB for 4.2 setup for an untethered JB. Thankfully it sounds like they do still have exploits at the ready for 4.2, so hopefully it won't be a long wait! :D

14. apunkrockmonk, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Just imagine how bummed he's gonna be when he finds out that a tethered JB means that the device must be attached to a computer anytime a reboot is necessary.

15. The General macrumors 601

remember that time on 1.1.1 where we could upgrade to 1.1.2 jb through Installer? :p

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn, that really sucks:D

Lol:)