jailbreak iphone 4s problem

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 383, Feb 14, 2012.

1. 383 macrumors newbie

So, I'm using the latest version for Windows of the jailbreak for iphone 4s. It works fine until I get to where I tap on absinthe. It just stays how it is....I try to use their vpn or whatever but I keep getting error messages. What should I do?

2. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

"It just stays how it is" ?????????????????????

You going to have to be a tad bit more descriptive if you want help. Can you post a picture of what you are seeing? What version windows? What version absinthe?

3. 383 thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right.

It's Windows 7 64 bit. I am using Chronic-Dev Absinthe - Version 0.3. It says "wait for absinthe to complete" on my iphone in the absinthe folder. It says if it didn't work, I should tap "jailbreak" to turn on the vpn called "jailbreak." When I try to turn this on, I get an error message saying the "url cannot be shown." If I try to turn it on via my settings, I get another error message. It says I'm almost done on the computer and I just have to unlock the screen and tap the absinthe icon to finish.

4. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

5. 383, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

383 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

I would start over. Are you using the latest version of iTunes?

7. 383 thread starter macrumors newbie

I now am....:rolleyes:
    So I don't have to delete or restore anything first?

8. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Make a backup via iTunes

On your iphone, go to SETTINGS, RESET, ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS.

Restore in iTunes using a downloaded 5.0.1 IPSW

After it's restored: on the iPhone's "Set Up iPhone" page, check "Set up as new"

After that, jailbreak

Restore from backup via iTunes

9. 383, Feb 14, 2012

What's this 5.0.1 IPSW?

And how do I restore it from the icloud backup? Thanks.

10. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

11. 383, Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, I think I'm downloading it now...I'd be perfectly happy going through iTunes....just want to make sure I keep my data. (at the iTunes iPhone screen it says I can set up as new or restore from a back up from December, which would be a problem if I lost my data from the past month and a half.) The icloud backup works, right?

12. 383, Feb 14, 2012

So now I have it downloaded onto my computer...how does this help me? What do I do now? Sorry, but I haven't done this before and as of now I can't really use my phone at all.

What if I just restored it using my phone itself?

13. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Did you back up as I suggested before erasing?

If so, jailbreak, then restore from backup.

14. 383 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm worried I may have backed up incorrectly. Backing up to icloud is fine, right? So I just go and jailbreak it, without even bothering with the set up screen on my phone, then restore?

15. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

I don't use iCloud so I can't help you there.

Set it up as new.

Then jailbreak

Then restore from backup hopefully

16. 383 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I restore it first? It looks like my opportunity to restore it is only before the set up. Or would this defeat the purpose of doing this in the first place?

17. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Set it up as new.

Then jailbreak

Then restore from backup hopefully

18. 383, Feb 14, 2012

Well, I got the jailbreak done, but I can say goodbye to the 300 songs it took me hours to download. Well, thanks for the help I guess.

19. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

As I have been saying all along; sync with iTunes and backup FIRST. Have you tried restoring from a backup? Aren't the songs stored on your computer? If you purchased the songs through iTunes, you can always download them again.

You're welcome....I guess.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

20. 383 thread starter macrumors newbie

It would take less time redoing things than trying to find the backup and then using it. So, thanks for your help. Really, not I guess.

21. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Maybe reading up on the process and realizing what you are doing would help instead of complaining.

22. 383, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

Maybe point to where I'm complaining? How about reading this thread before posting a blatantly incorrect remark? It says your location is "World." Are you able to understand English very well? If you can't, then we can laugh it off and go on our merry ways. On the other hand, if you did understand it and had the nerve to post about some complaining, then you need to rethink your motives for making what we know is an incorrect post. Are you trying to make it seem as though I'm some whiny crybaby who is complaining to robdam1001 about the issues I'm having jailbreaking my iPhone? If I was complaining, why would he take time out of his day to write 9 posts?

"Reading up on the process?" Where do you expect me to look? I followed the directions from the jailbreak, something went wrong, I'm no iPhone expert and I came here for help. What else do you expect me to do? Go to the library, pick up a book on jailbreaking iPhones and then fix my problem? I knew I had to save a backup first. I did that. Apparently, I did it in a way that the backup was overridden by a backup of the new phone. I may have used the wrong version, the second latest one and ended up with some sort of error. Robdam1001 patiently guided me through restoring my iPhone and I was able to successfully jailbreak it after that. I lost a few songs, but with an hour or two of work I can sort it out. So what seems to be the problem?

If something I said looked like complaining to you, then I am very sorry. I am sure you feel very hurt and saddened that someone was complaining. Oh how it hurts me when I see someone complaining. My gut feels empty, my throat dry....I'd prefer to be dead then to even think about it. If only the complainer had read material which he isn't familiar with, he wouldn't be complaining. Instead he'd have never bothered anyone and the world would be a much better place. Let the starving children of the world starve, for we have a much bigger problem on our hands. You're dying from starvation and malaria? Ha! I saw someone complaing on an internet forum.

23. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

OP: if I recall correctly, connect your phone to iTunes. Then within iTunes, right click on your iPhone icon in the left hand side. See if there is an option to restore from a specific backup.