Jailbreak/Jailbreak.com restore question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Chad H, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    Just got a quick question. I used Jailbreakme to jailbreak my iPhone 4 on Verizon running 4.2.8. I was wondering is it possible to back the phone up/sync to iTunes like normal then do a restore and restore from backup to remove all jailbreak material? Just wondering because I don't want to lose some texts and photos. :)

Thanks

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Restoring the phone will get rid of the jailbreak. Some say that if you restore from a backup that was saved when the phone was jailbroken, some traces of the JB will remain but I have yet to see any of that happen.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you restore from a backup that was made when the iPhone was jailbroken some stuff will remain. If you have to take it to an Apple Store for a replacement or warranty work, they may reject it on grounds of it being jailbroken.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Carrier name changes are saved in the backup, so are some things like FolderEnhancer

you wouldn't really notice they are still there unless you re-jailbreak then re-download those tweaks but it will remember what you had those tweaks set up to do prior to the restore

5. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Well to be honest since I have jailbroken using Jailbreak me my phone has acted quite quirky. So, I was hoping I could back up and restore and remove the jailbreak fixing my phone.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

jailbreakme is still an unstable jailbreak. If you are wanting to keep the iPhone jailbroken, restore it and jailbreak it with redsn0w. That way of jailbreaking is much more stable.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you can try to restore from backup then rejailbreak with RedSn0w that could help if it doesnt i would suggest restoring as new then jailbreak see if that fixes your issues

8. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Do you think if I backed it up, then restored new from that backup would the jailbreak problems remain?

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well new and backup are 2 different things? i would first try with using a backup to see if its jailbreakme that caused your issues, if that doesnt help then i would trying a fresh restore without a backup