Jailbreak - keeping current data / setup

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by VaatiKaiba, Jul 19, 2009.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

I'd love to jailbreak, just to get all the customization features, however I don't want to lose all my current data and setup (eg all the apps on my iPod, my mail accounts, etc, and game save data).

I believe that before you jailbreak, that you have to restore the original firmware - is this true? And if it is, can I make a backup before jailbreaking, restore the backup after jailbreaking, and still have both the jailbreak and setup at the same time?

Thanks!

EDIT: How can I do the restore once I've jailbroken without wiping the iPod again?

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Yes, the only thing you'll lose is your music & videos.

3. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

But I can just re-sync the music and videos on again, can't I?

I'm slightly (read: very) confused about this whole JB thing :s I want to jailbreak, but I don't want to lose all my data (email accounts, app info and game save data, for example). So, questions:

1) Do I need to restore my iPod to factory settings before jailbreaking?

2) If yes, can I restore my data from a backup without getting rid of the jailbreak?

3) If no, can I jailbreak my iPod as-is, because it's on 3.0 (using RedSn0w)?

4) Any other info?

Thanks in advance!

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

1. No you do not need to restore.
    2. You can jailbreak as is with redsn0w.

5. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Brilliant, one other question: when I'm jailbreaking and it asks for the ISPW, do I give my latest backup, or the original 3.0 one?

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not sure what you mean by backup vs original. There's only one valid 3.0 IPSW for each device (iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw, iPod1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw, etc), if you have multiple copies of the file, it shouldn't matter which one you use.