Jailbreak Killed my iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by D.av1d, Nov 6, 2007.

1. D.av1d macrumors newbie

D.av1d

(I just posted this on the appl-touch forums, but thought you all should know as well)

Well this sucks.

I tried iJailBreak at around 6PM and it didn't work with my iPod Touch so I tried AppSnapp and it worked.
    I downloaded the widget app (which I later uninstalled cause it didn't do anything).

Then I downloaded the summersomething app and it said 'warning you need to restart your iPod'. And so it finished installing, and I turned my iPod touch off, turned it back on and......it's been showing the Apple logo for 20+minutes now. I've hard restarted it, tried plugging it in with different USB ports (my iMac is UBS crazy) and still nothing.....I never thought Id ever be "on of those people" who mess up and lose their 350$ device to a mod. (And I never mod anything!!!)

/cry

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Did you restore your touch? That should fix your problems.

3. D.av1d thread starter macrumors newbie

D.av1d

When I connect it to my iMac, nothing happens.
    It's still at the Apple screen.

4. jacktiernan macrumors regular

Hey dave, sorry to hear about your problems jailbreaking.

I had a similar problem the first time i hacked my ipod touch too, all was resolved by restoring.

- If you can, turn your ipod off completely.

- On your computer, open itunes and plug your ipod in via USB

- Now hold the home and sleep buttons for around 10-15 seconds.

itunes should tell you it has "detected an ipod in recovery mode", follow the instructions from there....

..good luck, post again if that doesnt help. I'm pretty sure no-one has bricked their ipod touch because of jailbreak.

5. D.av1d thread starter macrumors newbie

D.av1d

Nope, that did not help at all.
    Still dead as a coster. >_<

I feel so stupid, I never use mods!

6. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

did you read about appsnapp you have to wait for it to jailbreak let it do its thing restore it by pressing the sleep/wake button with the home button for ten seconds and restore it.

7. jacktiernan macrumors regular

I am very reluctant to think yo have bricked your touch.

Sorry- i know this is an annoying question, but are you POSITIVE you followed the steps i suggested correctly?

Can you turn your ipod off at all?

8. D.av1d thread starter macrumors newbie

D.av1d

>___>

The only way I can turn it off is by holding Home and Standby/on button at the same time (force quitting)

Then whatever I do (e.g. plug it into my computer, turn it on normally ect.) It just sits at the Apple screen.

I left it on overnight to test it, I turned it on this morning and the batterie was dead, so It's currently plugged into my computer...and It's been sitting at the Apple logo for about 15mins now.

Leopard has not one sense of it, no recognition in iTunes either.
    I really do suggest you guys restore your Touches and just wait until January...I wish I had!

9. D.av1d thread starter macrumors newbie

D.av1d

10. RobotBanana macrumors newbie

RobotBanana

Your iPod is fine. I was in the exact same situation as you when I first jailbroke in Windows. Thankfully, iPods have very good restore abilities. I was hanging out on IRC what the TIFF exploit was released, and since then I've never seen a case where a Touch has been completely destroyed.

You need to open iPHUC with iTunes closed and connect to your iPod, then type either "enterrecovery" or "enterrestore" without the quotes (can't remember which, I think it's enterrecovery). It will throw your iPod into recovery mode, even if the "home/sleep button" method doesn't work. Then you can open up iTunes and restore it. If iTunes doesn't recognize it, try unplugging the iPod then plugging it back in.

I haven't used iPHUC in ages, but if I remember correctly, you need to have your iPod powered on (even just at the logo) when you plug it in to your computer. Also, I think all you have to do to connect is open iPHUC and it connects automatically. Then just type enterrecovery.

You probably already have iPHUC somewhere in the iJailbreak folder.
    If not, you can get it here: http://code.google.com/p/iphuc/downloads/list

11. crism macrumors newbie

crism

ye actualy i bricked it from jailbreak once (ive tried all restores tried every website)so i bought a new one and it bricked again bu i didnt try jailbreaking it the second time???

12. D.av1d thread starter macrumors newbie

D.av1d

My computer does not recognize the iPod at all, it's like I'm plugging in nothing to UBS.

I tested this on my brothers PC, usually Windows does the whole "Found new hardware" mumbojumbo, but nothing occurred. :\

13. solyd macrumors regular

1. Plug your iPod into your computer with iTunes open.
    2. Press and hold both home and sleep button down until the device restarts.
    3. The second you see the Apple logo, let go of the sleep button but continue to hold the home button.
    4. After a while you will see the Apple logo change to something else signaling you that you are now in recovery mode.
    5. iTunes should now recognize your iPod and allow you to restore.

This methods works 100%, it's hardcoded into the iPod, no software mod can mess this up.

14. D.av1d thread starter macrumors newbie

D.av1d

DEAR SOLYD,
    I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANNNNNNNNNKKKKKK YOUUUUU!!!!!!
    You just saved me a trip to the States (woof thank goodness) to abuse the US' poor dollar and buy another iPod touch

T
    H
    A
    N
    K

Y
    O
    U
    !!!

I am so indebted to you, and I love you! haha

Thank you sooo much :)
    (It worked!!!!!!!!!!)

-David

15. Jakintosh™ macrumors member

oh btw when this happened to me, i was still able to ssh into my ipod, i just deleted all summerboard related files and disconnected and it was fixed so i didn't have to like re-hack it or anything... just for future reference...

16. helenkw macrumors newbie

Another THANK YOU!

Hi,
    And another big THANKS! I managed to jailbreak my iPod no problem yesterday but today, I tried on my friend's iPod and for the last 2 hours had the same problems as David. These restore procedures saved the iPod, PHEW.
    Otherwise, I would've been in BIG TROUBLE!
    thanks!!!!!
    Helen ;)

17. solyd macrumors regular

18. degrutze macrumors newbie

congratz

wow.... You must send a gift to him....hahaha

19. solyd macrumors regular

Haha, that'd be nice :p

20. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide

Just by reading threads like these, it amazes me at the ability of the people on these forums. We should all go in together and make something..... I dunno, the iwheelchair, because we will all be old one day. :cool: