Jailbreak Limbo

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rmecsw, Aug 21, 2010.

1. rmecsw macrumors member

Iphone 4 bricked, wont even restore "and update to dreaded 4.02".My blogs are backed up with tiny umbrella, but it now appears apple, in addition to no longer signing 4.01, appears to somehow recognize jailbroken phones,and refuses to restore them.any ideas?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. rmecsw thread starter macrumors member

anyone else with this problem?

It does go into DFU mode and my blogs are back up.....problem is (it appears)
    apple no longer lets you restore, even to 4.02, which I could downgrade to 4.01.

4. choice macrumors regular

i just downgraded yesterday so i'm sure you're still able to do it. i messed up my iPhone and had to restore and upgrade to 4.02. however, my SHSH was saved and I was able to JB again.

This video helped tremendously.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNOo92BrHH4

5. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

You need to be much more specific about what you've tried and what errors you got. It's ridiculous to say Apple aren't letting you restore to 4.0.2. They can't even stop you restoring to 4.0.1 ever if you have the blobs

6. choice macrumors regular

+1

7. rmecsw thread starter macrumors member

Exact Error Message_Update conflicts

"The Iphone cannot be restored at this time because the Iphone Software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable"

8. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Have you tried using Tinyumbrella, started the TSS server and restored to 4.0.1?

9. rmecsw thread starter macrumors member

"Restoring Iphone Software" Endless Loop Issue

I'd love to start the TSS server and downgrade with Tiny Umbrella: Problem is I cannot get the phone to get "upgraded" to 4.02. In addition to earlier error messages, I now (almost) was successful; I get "restoring Iphone Software",
    but after 95% completed, it just hangs.It over an hour in this state with no progress.Have tried my Imac, MBA and Windows, none successfully.Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

10. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Try putting your phone in DFU mode. Google for instructions if you don't know how

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

Gave him a link how to do that in post 2

when did you save your Blogs Apple stopped Signing two days ago. Anytime after that you are sol. Also sometimes it takes Cydia time to catch up it's not immediate. here is a good tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=qNOo92BrHH4&annotation_id=annotation_629197

Btw we love it when somebody starts off guys I bricked my iPhone. We all get a good laugh. So thanks for that. Hasn't happened to a iPhone in a very very long time!

Brick (electronics)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When used in reference to electronics, "brick" describes a device that cannot function in any capacity (such as a machine with damaged firmware). This usage derives from the machine now being considered "as useful, and as entertaining, as a brick." The term can also be used as a verb. For example, "I bricked my MP3 player when I tried to upgrade it."
    In the strictest sense of the term, bricking must imply that the device is completely unrecoverable without some hardware replacement. If the device can be repaired through software or firmware changes, it's not a brick.
    Historically, the oldest reference known is from Fall 1990 at Ramstein AFB, where the term was used by the 1856 Comm Squadron there to describe what happened when you over-drove the flyback mechanism on a CRT, which on a particular model of IBM monitor could be done through firmware. The resultant destruction of the internal electronics resulted in the release of magic smoke and the square monitor being called a "brick" or a "doorstop" or a "boat anchor", depending on which NCO was describing the incident.
    Brick may also refer to a Power Brick which is used to describe some external Mains AC to low voltage DC power converters commonly supplied with many consumer electronics devices. It is called a Brick, because generally even with a unit with an appealing design, a OEM power 'brick' (transformer) is generally supplied, and has a much less pleasing design - it generally is a black 'brick'.
    The term "brick" can also be used to refer to a particularly large mobile phone, referring to the older style of telephone which was the size of a house brick.

12. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

This should be made a masthead for the forum.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Hey folks, it's blobs, not blogs !

Two entirely different things !

I don't know of a single blog that will authenticate Apple firmware :rolleyes:

Congratulations to "moussekateer" as he is the only one to get it correct in this thread.

14. FireSokar macrumors regular

For all the recommendations people are making perhaps they should do a little more research on the entire process. It is normal for it to get to 95% complete then "fail". Just return to tiny umbrella and click "Kick device out of recovery" and it will boot normal. OP Enjoy.

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

My Bad here just been a busy crazy day and my brain wasn't all there.I knew it wasn't right as I was typing it too... no prize for me today! :(