Jailbreak Lingo

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by camaroIOM, Nov 1, 2011.

1. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

Not new to jailbreaking, but new to the IOS 5 jailbreaking process. Currently I am on 4.3.3 I have thought about upgrading to IOS 5, but concerned about not being able to jailbreak. I have always used an untethered jailbreak and unsure what a semi untethered jailbreak means?? Are you still able to get MIWI and all current cydia apps moving up to IOS5?? Is the move worth it? Several people make references that Cydia stores blobs to revert back to?? Unsure of this process or if I need to chose something via cydia to make happen?

Any help would be great. Thanks

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I am just going to take a wild guess that you are on the iP4.

Current Jailbreak is a tethered JB, you can install a package from Cydia that make it "semi-tethered" meaning it will reboot but some app wont work (Mail and Safari more noticeable, however the last update had reports to make Safari work again, i can't confirm that).

Some App haven't been updated to iOS5 since some developers are waiting for the untethered and 4S JB.

IS it worth it? only you can answer that question, personally if you are not a Developer or power user of any JB app, i would stay away form it until the tether JB is out and most app are update, but then again that is me.

PS: BTW..what is a "lingo"?

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Tethered means you must boot your phone connected to computer or it will not work. Semi-Tethered allows you to boot but only basis services work like phone, Jailbreak apps do not work until you get back to a computer and boot tethered.

Apple signs the firmware on install and they only sign current version. By saving shsh blobs for previous releases of firmware you can install old version without apple signing by spoofing the signing process. You can only save blobs for version apple are signing. Presently that is ios5.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

*You can't save SHSHs for iOS5 (yet). They don't work the same as they did for iOS4 or older.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I am still confused by "lingo" :D

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You speak the lingo well:D