Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Hey everyone.

I want to disable that stupid Voice Control feature. I never use it, and its annoying with the phone in your pocket. I don't want anything to happen when you push/hold the home button.

So I was going to SSH into the phone, modify the plist to disable voice control, and be happy.

But, I don't want my phone jailbroken (because I want to be able to shut down the phone and be able to restart it without having to be connected to a computer).

So if I jailbreak, modify the plist, then restore, will the plist revert back to it's original state?

I imagine there is no way to do a backup, then edit the plist within the backup, then restore to that modified backup?

Any help would be great!

I'd also like to enable SIRI, but I'll worry about that later I think.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The Voice Control isn't settable via a backup. To change it you must jailbreak. But the only way to unjailbreak is to restore the iPhone.

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
I guess I'll just wait for the untethered iOS5 Jailbreak.

I'll need to JB in order to port Siri over, anyway, so I guess it's no big deal.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Siri is not working at the moment, couple of people that got it working are not sharing everything you need to do.. if you do some reading you can learn more.. ;)

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
I did do some additional reading after posting, and it seems like a port to the iP4 is not quite ready.

Bummer.

I'll still probably JB when an untethered iOS5 break comes out. At least so I can disable Voice Control, if nothing else.

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
What kind of other stuff? Anything worthwhile?
Enabling the hidden panorama mode or the auto-correct/suggestion keyboard.
Worthwhile? Probably not! :D

Other than that, the app is great when you want to setup your iPhone as new and not restore from backup, but still have some specific things from an old backup that you'd like to transfer over.

Last edited:

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Fair enough suggestion. I don't think the market is ripe for a Verizon iP4, though even though it's a 32GB.

Chances are, I'll just keep it until the redesign comes out. When that happens, I'll be eligible for upgrade and I'll get it. Until then, I'll probably just JB and play around with different themes and such. I might get my wife a 4S if she wants to switch from the Android camp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.