jailbreak my iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by marcmarcdv, Jul 7, 2011.

1. marcmarcdv macrumors regular

Is it safe to jailbreak my iPhone?

If so.. When I jailbreak my iPhone.. Wat step do I need to take?

2. quizzi macrumors regular

quizzi

Your phone is perfectly fine to jailbreak if it has been official unlocked by your carrier. If it hasn't it may potentially brick up, however if you own the original sim card in which the phone's carrier has provided, then you can unbrick it.

To jailbreak your phone, first you will need to know the current firmware in which it is running on and the model of your iPhone, as each program can only work with specific models and firmwares.

To check your firmware, simply go to Settings>General>About>Version. There should be a number like X.X.X where the X is a number between 0-4. That is the firmware that your iPhone is currently on.

Please advise of the current firmware on your iPhone and the model, so I can assist you with the jailbreak.

3. marcmarcdv thread starter macrumors regular

My phone is unlock an I've got the current sofware

4. quizzi macrumors regular

quizzi

5. marcmarcdv thread starter macrumors regular

6. quizzi macrumors regular

quizzi

No, however once you do the jailbreak you may need to change the root password to prevent external intrusions.

7. marcmarcdv thread starter macrumors regular

How do u do that?

8. awadeee, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You are providing false information. You do not need to be unlocked to use a jailbreak and I am not sure why you think so. A jailbroken non-unlocked iPhone has no more chance of bricking up than an unlocked & jailbroken iPhone. It's cool if you want to help, but maybe leave that to the senior members until you have your info down pat.

To the OP: Just update to 4.3.3 and jailbreak with redsn0w. I wouldn't worry about root password unless you plan on SSH-ing. and since you're new to jailbreaking I don't think you'll be getting into that for quite a while.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you plan to ssh, the instructions to change the root password are on cydia.

10. ssianh macrumors newbie

New Here

Hi all, i'm new here and i own one iPhone4 running on 4.1(8B117) ever since i got it.
    I had 'jailbreak' it since the first day i got it using blackra1n and it's only recently the thought of upgrading to the latest firmware came across my mind.
    To 4.3.3 firmware.

My question is, since my phone is a JB phone running on 4.1, and with the many things installed onto my phone, how can i backup?

The more important things which i'm concerned about are
    1) Photos in the Photos
    2) Contacts in the Phone
    3) Messages in the Messages

Any kind souls able to tell me or guide me as to how to go about backup-ing and restoring stuff if i were to go ahead and click on the upgrade to 4.3.3 on the iTunes for my iPhone.

Thanks in advance.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

:eek: You really have no idea about JBing and tech terms to actually provide assitance to others by giving incorrect information.

To the TS, you can go to jailbreakme.com and install the jb by following directionsl just make sure you have 4.3.3 installed (you can follow this tutorial if you want: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=15928). If you don't like it you can always restore as NEW from original :apple: fw and you will be back to normal firmware. The only reason to change your root pswd in cydia is if you have an app like OpenSSH installed, if not then forget about it.

12. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

13. jaustduckie macrumors newbie

Jailbreak and unlock help

Hi i have an iphone 4 on firmware 4.3(8F190) and I am trying to jailbreak and unlock the phone so i can use it on Tmobile. I'm really new to this so I just need some guide.

So far I have gone to jailbreakme.com and downloaded Cydia and following that I also downloaded ultrasnow 1.2.3.

1. What do I need to do after this ?
    2. Is there another source I have to add to configure the internet ?
    3. Also I don't have the Cellular Data Network option in Network in my settings.

Also I have not put in a SIM card bc i'm trying to make sure my iphone 4 is really unlocked and jailbroken b4 I cut my SIM card.

14. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ultrasn0w will not unlock 4.3 baseband. So you will not be able to use t-mobile network. Ultrasn0w only unlocks 1.59.00 iPhone 4 baseband. Only with gevey Sim could you unlock your phone on 4.3

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Plug your iPhone into iTunes, right click on the phone in the left side bar area, click Back Up. Restore to 4.3.3, and then restore from backup. Jailbreak with Redsn0w.

Ultrasn0w cannot unlock you because you are no longer running the 1.59.00 baseband. Look into purchasing a Gevey SIM if you need the unlock, or sell the phone and buy one that's factory unlocked.