Jailbreak my Itouch Yes or No?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Codythatsme, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Codythatsme macrumors member

Hi,

I got an Ipod Touch some time ago and at first I was hesitant to jailbreak it because of the possibility of bricking it, now I have got a bit further to convincing myself to do so but I need that last bit of reassurance to make sure I'm making a right choice. So the main reason why I am hesitant to jailbreak is because of the small risk of bricking it. My iPod is a 2G 8GB model. Whats the risk of it being bricked beyond repair? Also I see this Blackra1n sounds like its very easy to do, just click one button and within a minute or two its done, the ones I have seen on Youtube take much longer and are much more complicated. If I am to jailbreak I would go with Blackra1n, however its tethered and since mine is 2G I shouldn't need it to be tethered to jailbreak it, is there a jailbreak method as simple as Blackra1n that is untethered?

Another issue - The warranty. Say I had this situation: Something on the iPod is broken, nothing to do with it being bricked, say the speakers stopped working or maybe I dropped it and something stops working but it wasn't caused by me jailbreaking it. If I am to restore its firmware and get it covered by warranty, will there be any trace of it being jailbroken?

The next issue - Viruses. Obviously unlocking the software by jailbreaking it makes it much easier to be affected by viruses. My question is are these viruses common? Are there any hiding in some of the apps in Cidia?\

Last thing, I have heard that jailbreaking can sometimes make wifi not work (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...view=all&subj=57559012857&aid=-1&id=837778097) When the iPod is restored will the wifi work again?

If someone could answer these questions it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

There is no risk of bricking it. Even if it doesn't boot, you can put it in DFU mode, and restore it in iTunes.. which means you also don't need to worry about your warranty. Yes, jailbreaking it voids your warranty, but you're simply one click away from restoring the official OS through iTunes, and none will ever know your jailbroke it. Also, Blackra1n is *Untethered* for your iPod touch 2G, it is only tethered for the 3G model, and so far no other method is untethered for the 3G. Another good option that i would recommend is redsn0w (redsn0w.com).

I don't think you should worry about viruses. Just be careful what kind of sources you add to cydia, always verify that they are legit. So far i've never heard someone having virus problems.

Will anything go wrong, a restore will bring the device to its factory settings and install the official OS in it. Such problems as the wifi problem you mentioned are software-wide, so no need to worry there is no permanent damage done to the device. I would once more suggest redsn0w, i used it on 3 friends of mine with a 2G ipod touch, and mine (also 2G) is also jailbroken using redsn0w so i'd say its a safe bet.

You're welcome :)

3. Codythatsme thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your response. I just have one more question for you if you don't mind. You mentioned Redsn0w, is it as simple as blackra1n? Just one click of a button and its done? Or is it more complicated? And are there any advantages of Redsn0w over Blackra1n?

Thanks.

4. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

Check out this link. Contains everything you need to know about redsn0w

5. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

well...redsn0w is really cool. when you do it if your on a mac....when you select the firmware...go to your username, then library, then itunes, then ipod software, then theres your firmware. check off verbose boot cuz thats really cool. png files have to be in rgb or grayscale. on a mac, if you have a file you can convert it by changing the .(whatever format) to .png. now both logos that you choose have to be 320 by 480, which u can do on this website.

http://www.image-tools.com/Online-Image-Resize-Tool.php

also download openssh and mobile terminal. in mobile terminal type "su" and hit return. then type the password "alpine" now your logged in as the root user, or superuser. now type in "passwd" and hit return. now type in a new password that you want, then itll ask you to type it again...so type it again. now type "login mobile", the password is "alpine", type "passwd" and type a new password just like you did when you made a new one for root. itll ask you to confirm it...so type it in again. they should probably be both the same passwords as its easier to remember. this will prevent your ipod from getting any viruses. and the only viruses that are on there are ones that warn you of more dangerous things that can happen. one virus gets you rick roll'd which isnt a big deal and can be reversed. but if u change those passwords your 100% safe. if anything goes wrong you can always just restore.

6. Codythatsme thread starter macrumors member

Ok I was just about to go ahead and jailbreak it but then I read that iPod touch 2g with the model number starting with "MC" means that it will be a thethered jailbreak!!!!!! Is this true or not? D:

Thanks.

7. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

well does your ipod touch start with MC? redsn0w has different setup for that that it asks you before you jailbreak.

8. Codythatsme thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it does start with MC, does this mean it will be tethered?

EDIT: Where am I to look for this MC? The model number or the serial number? Because it starts with MC on the model number but starts with 1B on the serial number.

EDIT 2: So I found mine was an MC (Im pretty sure its model number is MB) so I guess I will have to have a tethered jailbreak :( :mad:

Thanks.

9. Codythatsme thread starter macrumors member

Ok guys so I just did a jailbreak, I was so scared during it, after it was done I realised that its the best thing ive done for my iPod!!! Thanks for convincing me to do this guys, much appreciated :).

10. hoosierfan24 macrumors member

11. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

Have fun with your - now much more powerful - iPod touch :) Yes, sad to say but if your model number starts with "MC" then its a tethered jailbreak. All itouch 2g users had only the option for a tethered jailbreak once redsn0w came out (the first jailbreak option for the 2g). It's not a big deal, as most of the people don't actually switch off their device that often and you should expect an untethered jailbreak option soon, just like it happened for the older itouches in the past. Oh and, being jailbroken, should you ever need a restart for any reason, you can always just "respring" which most of the times is what needed instead of a restart

12. Maptcb60 macrumors newbie

Ok....I originally posted this accidentally on the Iphone thread, as I am so brand new with this forum(today) & with my Ipod Touch. I kinda got scolded for posting it there and in another thread. Didn`t know......But, here goes:

The person who pointed out my forum errors just told me, "You cannot jailbreak, sorry."

After reading these posts I`m not sure. Or I would like a second opinion. No offense to him.

Here is my situation, I`ve read these posts & would like to jailbreak my 8gb Ipod Touch if possible.

I have the 8gb Ipod Touch w/ 3.1.3 (7E18) firmware, Model # MC086LL ...... Rev. 4-6-09. Thing is, after reading numerous posts here, I`m confused as to whether I have a 2g or 3g. Some say it is a 3g while others say it is really a new 2g......confusion!

Is there a step by step process I can find? (tried the Google thing but it doesn`t really get specific with all my questions.

I`m seeing that if you have an MC model this cannot be done? Or is it at all possible with the specs of my Ipod....Thanks for your time and my being a novice in this area, Michael

P.S. I had to post my questions again since I originally put them in the wrong forum thread. Not trying to break any rules. Really. Just new to all of this......

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

There is a risk of being hacked through SSH if you don't change your root password. The first time it happened, it was an attack that was just a proof-of-concept; ie, this person hacked your iPhone (it was almost always an iPhone since they have a constant data connection, the risk is much less for an iPod Touch) and would change something harmless. The next time around, someone was holding your iPhone hostage for, like, $5. And if you paid up the $5 they did indeed release your iPhone, no further harm done.

This is a small risk, but it does exist and it's a good idea to change your root and SSH passwords away from default so this isn't a possibility at all. It's a good idea to change those anyway.