Jailbreak Newbie here. Some questions about it

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by iAlexG, Nov 7, 2009.

1. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Ok I have had my iPod Touch 2G 32GB for over a year now and I am starting to think about jailbreaking it.
    I have read guides about how to do it but none have to answers about what you can do with a jailbroken ipod.

1) First an foremost can I jailbreak 3.1.2 on a touch 2nd gen? If so which software for mac can i use to do it

2) What happens to my purchased stuff and library in general? i have about 50 apps, mostly paid for so will they still work? and the same with music and movies etc. I use iTunes 9.0.2

3) Ok about Cydia and cracked apps etc. What kind of library of apps does Cydia have?

4) finally whats all this stuff about SSH? can someone explain this too?

2. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Yes you can jailbreak your itouch. I used Blackra1n and mine was JB in 45 seconds. Second, your entire library will stay the same unharmed.:D

3. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Cydia has 32 apps of which none are free and all but 11 and over $2. i have no idea what SSH is.:confused::apple:

4. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I just did it using BlackRa1n and it was really easy!!! But in iTunes it says i have 2.56GB of space used under Other? It wasn't there before.
    And what can I do about the BlackRa1n app on my iPod? Do I need it?

5. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Since you have already done the jailbreak you have no doubt found that nothing changes as far as music and apps from the iTunes store. You just get a new app download source in Cydia.

Cydia's apps are not cracked versions of what is on the iTunes store, they are entirely new apps (some free, some paid - just like the iTunes store).

The built-in ssh server lets you use a terminal (or something like PuTTY on a PC) to connect back into your touch and see the file system. You will see the UNIX file system and be able to make edits to files you normally can't get to on the touch.

The space taken up under other is for the UNIX tools that were installed to support Cydia.

6. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Thanks for the help guys

So if I download Cydia I can get rid of the BlackRa1n app?
    And to un-jailbreak I just restore right?