Jailbreak not needed for Unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by singaporesling, Jun 4, 2011.

1. singaporesling macrumors newbie

I'm leaving for a 2 month trip to London tomorrow, and I'm trying to unlock my iPhone. Prior to today my iPhone was at version 4.0.1 and was jailbroken. I really haven't kept up with the updates and unlocking/jailbreaking tools for a few years.

I accidentally tried to use UltraSn0w on my 4.0.1 software, which was a big mistake. Now I have to restore my iPhone, and iTunes is making me update to 4.3.3.

Can I upgrade to 4.3.3. and still be able to unlock my iPhone so I can use it in Europe?

Also, do I need to jailbreak it before I unlock it?

Thanks for any help!

2. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Once you're on 4.3.3 there is no software unlock available. Your only option is a Gevey sim card. Sorry.

3. rogeliojeda macrumors regular

it depends, as apple official firmware will upgrade your baseband. But you need to give us more info, such as your iphone model and your current baseband.

4. singaporesling thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I accidentally used ultrasn0w on my 4.0.1 software without knowing my baseband. I have an iPhone 3GS. Now my iphone is stuck in the Apple logo loop.

Is there a way I can restore with 4.0.1 and not update to 4.3.3?

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You can only restore to a lower firmware if you have the SHSH saved for that iOS.

6. singaporesling thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to get that if my iPhone has the connect to itunes screen on and I didn't already save the SHSH?

Another question. If all of this fails can I use a gevey pro card to unlock a 3GS or do they only work for iPhone 4s? I'm starting to get desperate now.

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

There's a new software out there called iFaith that will save the SHSH for whatever iOS your iphone is currently on. Almost works the same as TinyUmbrella.

The gevey sim is only for the iPhone 4. If worst comes to worst and you upgrade the 3GS to 4.3.3, you would have to upgrade the baseband to the iPad (6.15) to unlock with ultrasn0w.

8. rogeliojeda macrumors regular

Gevey works only for iPhone 4 for now. Try to use tinyumbrella to get out of recovery mode. Then use the SST Server to restore to 4.0.1, if you dont have the original SIM you will need to use a custom firmware. If that doesnt work, the use redsn0w to update your baseband to the ipad baseband and thats it

9. singaporesling thread starter macrumors newbie

Will Tinyumbrella do anything for me if my iPhone is stuck in recovery mode and I've never used the program before?

Right now my biggest problem is that my iPhone is in recovery mode, because I accidentally used ultrasn0w with the wrong firmware version (4.0.1)

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

What I don't understand is how ultrasnow messed up your phone. At 4.0.1, that usually comes with an unlockable BB of 5.13 for the 3GS. I've never heard of anyone messing up their phone that way.
    You can d/l pwnage (Mac) or snowbreeze (windows). They preserve your BB, JB your phone and updates it with the custom firmware. You should find a tutorial, because it's not intuitive. If you have access to a Mac, I suggest pwnage. Snowbreeze, from what I've read, is buggy and not as good as the pwnage, the program its modeled on.

11. singaporesling thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what it did. I downloaded ultrasn0w through cydia, installed it and then rebooted my phone. My phone displayed the apple logo for a while and now finally it keeps displaying the connect to itunes screen. Is there a way to get out of that?