Jailbreak on hold till 4.2?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by navigates, Sep 15, 2010.

1. navigates macrumors 6502a

Since apple has seeded 4.2 beta. Will the dev's hold off till 4.2 or will 4.1 have the jailbreak? what do you think.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Doubt it.
    There's still a few months ahead till 4.2 will be out.

3. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

No, the jailbreak is a boot ROM jailbreak which is determined by the hardware, not the software.

4. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

I agree, it will be released once it is tested and ready.

5. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats good to know. However 4.0.1 is very stable. Still don't see much benefit for 4.1. Its mainly to help folks with 4.0.2 firmware purchases.

6. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Huh? That makes no sense.

The proximity sensor fix alone is worth upgrading for as far as I am concerned.

S-

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not at all, 4.1 Jailbrake is a Full speed :cool:

8. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Just because Apple says they fixed it doesn't mean they did. A lot of people on the iPhone board are saying that it didn't fix anything.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Bluetooth was actually fix and that was a big deal for many people, full profile added and game center are also big big plus

10. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Bluetooth AVRCP is a big deal for me! Nothing else though! Waiting for 4.1 JB!:cool:

11. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

As I understand it, there are a couple of bootrom exploits that have been found. These will be good on all current devices - forever. But to use this as a jailbreak, it would be a tethered jailbreak. There may be other exploits available that will result in an untethered jailbreak. These have not been announced. There's no problem with announcing the bootrom exploit since Apple can't do anything about it. Whether the DevTeam will wait until 4.2 or not for an untethered jailbreak, only they know for sure. When the exploit for the untethered jailbreak comes out, Apple can close that hole. If the untethered exploit is exposed with a 4.1 jailbreak, then it will certainly be closed in 4.2. I'm not a hacker, though I wish I had the knowledge, but I would imagine that the tethered jailbreak will be released soon but the untethered jailbreak may wait until 4.2. You know Apple, there will be a 4.3 and a 5.0, etc. There will always be the next firmware with better functionality. But 4.2 for the iPad will be a major update.

This commentary, like just about everyone else's regarding jailbreaks is strictly speculation. I have no knowledge of the working or thought process of the DevTeam. But I certainly appreciate them and their efforts.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its an unthered bootrom exploit the devices would all be pwned for life.
    Would be interesting to see how Apple plays it. Will they update the hardware on newer iproducts produced or leave it like that and wait till the new iphone/ipad,ipod touch cycle to update it.

13. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

We'll probably see iPhone 4's with a newer bootrom after the exploit is released, like what happened with the 3GS. So if you want a pwned for life iPhone 4 you may want to buy one soon.

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It will take a bit of time, Apple need to Rev the Processor, re-test it and re certified, that is not a 1 week process, and all the ones already manufacture will have to be sold, so my guess will me months before you'll start seeing rev devices on the field.

15. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I have a relative with a new iPod Touch. The 4.1 firmware will allow iPhone 4 FaceTime calls using email addresses so we can video chat with our devices. That's why I look forward to the upgrade.

16. hlkc macrumors regular

For 4.1 BT, do you guys mean that we can able to choose and change song in yhe iTunes from the remote machine now?

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes, Bluetooth AVRCP = Audio/Video Remote Control Profile

[​IMG]

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, but I heard that they would need to also replace/upgrade the CPU not just the bootrom.
    Not sure if those rumors are true or what though.

19. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You are correct sir, it is a hardware revision.

20. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

True. How long after the 3GS bootrom was compromised did a new hardware revision come out?

21. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I don't remember but it was quite a bit, this time is a bit more complex for apple, since they are using Apple's Silicon this time around and it is share across multiple devices. It will be a lot more complicated than the 3GS was.

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's what I've been seeing as well.

23. hlkc macrumors regular

This is good. Can't wait the next JB!