jailbreak options for new 3gs?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mindyish, Nov 14, 2011.

1. mindyish, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

mindyish macrumors member

My brother and his wife just got new service with AT&T and took advantage of the free 3gs iphones and wanted to know if I would be able to jailbreak them for them. They didn't really want the tethered jailbreak which is all that is available right now on the ios5 but I am not sure if 5.1 is out yet and if there is a jailbreak for it yet.

So questions are:

Do these free 3gs's have up to date firmware or is it a good chance they may have 4. something software?

If these come with 4.3.5 is that still a tethered JB?

Also, would 5.0 really slow down the 3gs since it wasn't designed for this?

What is my best bet for these, depending on what firmware is? If 4.3.5 is on this and is still a tethered JB and tethered was my only option would be be best to stay on 4.3.5 or go to 5.0 on a 3gs. Love ios 5 features but don't want to slow these phones down too much.

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The bolded question isn't answerable because we don't know what AT&T is shipping these with. Your best bet is to ask the owners.

4.3.5 is not untethered as far as I know, with 4.3.3 being the last untethered jb. I wouldn't bother with iOS 5 on a 3Gs, if it acts anything like the 3G did on iOS 4. Personally I found that the 4.x series was phenomenal on the 3Gs.

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I have an old bootrom 3GS running on 5.0 and i see no difference between iOS4 and iOS5. Is your 3GS on iOS5?

4. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I have a 3GS updated to version 4.0.1
    Is it possible to jailbreak and unlock it at this point? If I do that, can I still upgrade to iOS 5 and maintain it's unlocked status?

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

With your phone having 4.0.1, baseband 05.12 or 05.13, you can jailbreak and unlock it without hooking it up to your computer.

1. Open safari on your phone and type in jailbreakme.com. Following instruction and it will put Cydia onto your phone.
    2. open Cydia and install Ultrasn0w to unlock it.

Also, you can upgrade to the latest firmware Apple is signing right now and still keep your old baseband. However, you need to use Redsn0w or sn0wbreeze to create customs firmware and restore to that firmware. Do not upgrade/restore it to Apple official firmware. The baseband you have on your phone now is very valuable.

6. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Ok, so this is where I'm a little fuzzy on the hole process. Is redsnow a desktop app that I run? Is that where I get the latest OS from? I understand not downloading it straight from iTunes.

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX