Jailbreak or Apple Update?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Rookie1986, Oct 13, 2007.

?

Jailbreak or Apple Update?

1. Jailbreak

37 vote(s)
    75.5%
  2. Apple Update

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Just though I would ask to see if people were either hacking there iPod Touch to include more apps or if they were waiting for Apple to come up with some sort of solution to combat the hacking by introducing more apps via iTunes for the iPod Touch?

Personally I’m waiting for Apple, I would love the have all the extra cool apps that I’ve seen other people with but unfortunately I don’t have much luck with things like this, I tried to home flash a cell/mobile phone and bricked it :( and I just couldn’t risk doing that with a £199 device.

So what about you guys? Jailbreak or wait to see what Apple come up with?

2. adamsweeting macrumors regular

I've been on all the forums and irc channels for days now - and AFAIK there haven't been any REAL bricks.
    The jailbreak it not that hard to do, and if you do mess up - restore the iPod. If iTunes doesn't recognise it, then just force it into restore mode.

This thing has got like 20 times better since Jailbreaking it. It's now become what it should have been out of the box.

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

This jailbreak does nothing to the actual firmware or hardware, only the actual operating system, which can be easily restored at any point in time. It's not only safe but undetectable to Apple. Come next update I'd still see what happens before updating (they will likely want to patch the exploit) but I find it unlikely that they will brick any devices. If it comes to that though, you can always restore before updating.

4. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

Since it's so early in the iPod Touch's life, I plan to wait awhile and let the bug fixes come out, especially since we've seen how major the updates can be (1.1.1 was 150 MB, while the OS is roughly 600MB).

Also, I don't really see any apps that I can't live without. As of now, all the good ones are internet based. While Google Maps is cool, and Mail is cool, I can get that information from websites fairly painlessly. I am, admittedly, tempted to hack it just for the sake of hacking it, but the gained functionality is only so-so.

(In my opinion, of course.)

5. lupka macrumors newbie

yeah, if i were you, I'd give the jailbreak a try. i was nervous at first too but it went just fine and the stuff you can do now is amazing.

6. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

The OS actually seems to be about 230MB.

7. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

For the most part, I think the only real bricks that have caused problems were unlocked iPhones. iPhones with added apps, if they were bricked, were replaced or fixed by the Apple Store. Unlocked phones were not.

8. dairymandip macrumors member

jailbreak

but ill see what apple offers in the newest update and if anything impresses me I may go that route.

9. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Even then, I think some were able to 'unbrick' them, not sure how though.

10. Blueprint macrumors member

I’m going to wait and see what the next apple update brings first, if it doesn’t offer anything that interests me then I will keep mine on 1.1.1 and hack it and leave it on 1.1.1 until apple offer something that’s worth updating for

11. Rookie1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

That’s the thing, the apps people have got on there touch now are far superior to anything apple will probably release for it so I think if I’m waiting for apple to come up with something to battle the jailbreak then I might be waiting a long time,

There isn’t anyway apple could force an update for the touch though is there? Or possibly make it so you can no longer sync unless you update? Or is that impossible?

12. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I do really love my iPod and will see how the dust settles when Apple and the jailbreakers go at it for a least a couple of months.

13. EtienneP macrumors member

Definitely Jailbreaked my iPod. Absolutely worth it. Yeah, it got caught up a few times but a simple restore would do the trick. Now, finally, I feel like the 500 Canadian dollars I paid for it was worth it.

14. h4cky0u macrumors member

If we have a jailbroken iPod, and we need to restore but they have new firmware out. That means no more 3rd party apps right? :(

15. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

Unless smart playlists are fixed, alarms using your own music are added back and playlist grouping (as with iTunes and the other new iPods) are added I'll probably stick with jailbreak since there is nothing else I really want.

16. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

Download the firmware now and keep it somewhere safe.

17. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

18. sepu macrumors regular

well Apple will have to come with a very useful update (cmon Apple add all this thing to the touch) to start thinking in updating my touch ,,,, right the jailbreak is great and working without any problems at all with all the programs running smoothly !

19. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Unless Apple releses full blown 3rd party apps for the iPod Touch in the next update, mine will be jailbroken :)

20. h4cky0u macrumors member

Where can I download it? I tried via iTunes but it wont allow me since I already have the latest version.

21. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

why not jailbreak, then restore and update when an update is released?

22. nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

I personally hope future software updates will be adapted by the scene to work in already jailbreaked ipods.