Jailbreak or iOS5?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Jeff5886, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jeff5886 macrumors regular

I have an iPad 2. I am understanding that iOS5 is coming out this month. Is there any real point in jailbreaking now or should I go ahead and wait for iOS5?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is no guarantee that iOS 5 will come out in July. Apple said ships in Autumn so it could be a couple of months away. It's easy to restore as long as you have a backup so why not try JB now and then think again when iOS 5 comes.

3. DS3 macrumors 6502a

More like no chance it comes out in July.

The iPhone 5 is projected for September, surely iOS5 will launch with it.

Im 99% sure I'll stay on jailbreak until iOS5 is jailbroken, but even if you think you will upgrade.. it takes 20 seconds to jailbreak, theres no harm in it.

4. getyup macrumors 6502

OMG I hated my iPad until tonight, haha. No Jailbreak = no fun. :)

I'll stay with 4.3.3 until iOS 5 final is jailbroken, cause I can't stand having a 4x4 icon layout, yuck. Love me 7x6 :)

5. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak. iOS 5 is no where near ready for public use. I'm using it on my phone and it's not ready. I'm just trying to get an app ready, that's the only reason I use it. Had it on my iPad and took it off after Safari kept crashing.

6. Jeff5886 thread starter macrumors regular

I for the life of my can not find out how to create a backup before jailbreak. I want to JB now and then revert back to stock once iOS5 comes out. Do i just make an itunes backup or is there a different backup that I need to make prior to JB?

7. war eagle macrumors 6502a

It's just an iTunes backup. Plug you iPad up and right click it in iTunes and hit Backup.

8. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Apple has said Lion = July, iOS = Fall, and no word on iphone 5. I'm not sure where you people get your info...

9. TC25 macrumors 68020

It's pulled from a rectal cavity.

10. Jeff5886 thread starter macrumors regular

But when iOS5 comes out, will this set me an original firmware so I can upgrade to ios5?

11. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Backups just save your settings and once you upgrade to the new firmware (iOS 5) you will not be jail broken and all of your settings/apps that are jail break apps will be removed.

12. Qoo macrumors 6502

of course jailbreak, even the IOS 5 ready for the public i don't think the jailbreak will ready immediately.

13. Syk macrumors 6502a

I'm debating on JB my iPad2 also. I just got it a couple of weeks ago and really trying to decide what I'd JB it for.

My iP4 is JB on 4.2.1 and I don't plan on updating it till iOS5 is out right now I have MyWi on it, 5 dock and a few other tweaks.

The iPad I thought about MyWi on Demand but even that's not really that important to me at the moment. I like SBS settings though Decisions decisions.

Wait a second. RetinaPad. Does it work on the iPad2 now that it's been JB. That may be a good enough reason.