Jailbreak or iOS5?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Jeff5886, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jeff5886 macrumors regular

I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4. I am understanding that iOS5 is coming out this month. Is there any real point in jailbreaking now or should I go ahead and wait for iOS5?

2. nickpro macrumors regular

Try Sept. for iOS 5. Jailbreak now, there's no better time than now to experiment before iOS 5 comes out, not to mention the ridiculous amount of ease by using jailbreakme.

3. understando macrumors member

Jailbreak.

I ran ios 5 for a bit, but missed the functionality of my jailbreak. Downgraded and went back.

4. Jeff5886 thread starter macrumors regular

I for the life of my can not find out how to create a backup before jailbreak. I want to JB now and then revert back to stock once iOS5 comes out. Do i just make an itunes backup or is there a different backup that I need to make prior to JB?

5. I like all OS's macrumors newbie

I like all OS's

Backups are generally made whenever you sync you device with iTunes. You can also manually backup your device my right clicking (windows) or using secondary click (stock os x command for right click...) on your device and then selecting "Back Up".

*side note: I HATE how OS X sets the right click function as a double click stock, just doesnt make sense to me

6. Jeff5886 thread starter macrumors regular

But when iOS5 comes out, will this set me an original firmware so I can upgrade to ios5?

7. Kayan macrumors 6502

I have no idea what you're asking, but now that you getting into the JB process, you'll need to make sure you have a few things: your SHSH for any software version you want to maintain restore eligibility for and a clean backup of your device. If you decide to JB right now, then you want to upgrade to a clean iOS5 (which you'll have to until they release a different JB for iOS5) when it comes out, all you need to do is restore your iPhone (either as a new iPhone or restore to your clean backup) and you'll be as if you never JB. However, if you don't have your SHSH file for 4.3.x before iOS5 comes out, you won't be able to downgrade back to 4.3.x from iOS5.

8. Jeff5886 thread starter macrumors regular

yes i am trying to research how to get my SHSH file.

9. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

IOS 5 is not coming out this month.

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Just jailbreak. There many apps and tweaks such as SBSettings, BiteSMS and themes and whatnot that will not be available when iOS 5 drops in September (not next month :D). If you jailbreak, you will not be disappointed.

11. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Jailbreaking with JailBreakMe takes like a minute by tapping a button twice on a website. You can always restore to original factory through iTunes if you want and update to iOS 5 whenever it comes out.

No real reason to not jailbreak to wait for iOS 5. The days of a lengthy and risky multi-facted jailbreak process where you had to consider these kind of decisions are gone (for now).

12. Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

@Jeff, Just jailbreak your device with the firmware you have. Before you go ahead and jailbreak, simply just backup your device with official iOS firmware and data, etc. As soon as you backed up, you are free to jailbreak.

Once iOS 5 comes out, simply just save your SHSH blob for backing up your jailbroken firmware and data. I would link a tutorial, but I do not know the firmware you will be jailbreaking or the device (I assume iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3/4, or iPad 1/2), so I suggest googling that later on. As soon as your SHSH blob is kept, go ahead and restore to official iOS firmware (the one you currently had before you jailbreak) - (just simply connect your device to iTunes and click restore).

After that, go ahead and click update (to update to iOS 5) and you will begin downloading the firmware. After it finishes downloading, it will update your iDevice. After everything is done installing, make sure you set up your device and make sure you then restore from a backup (the one you made before you jailbreaked) and restore that to your device.

NOTE: If you have a lot of data changing with your iDevice (example an iPhone), then I would suggest not jailbreaking and using an official firmware and backing up then, then updating to iOS 5, then restore backup, so all data is current as possible with iOS 5.

IF NOT, then go ahead and attempt to follow my lengthy process above the NOTE.