Jailbreak possibly bad for Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by stefan007, Mar 8, 2008.

1. stefan007 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a question, I would like to jailbreak my ipod, but are there any possible bad consequences for the ipod? I don't mean things like software crashes but more in the genre of breaking the hardware inside.

Thanks!

Stefan007

2. 156457 macrumors 6502

I doubt there's a way to break the hardware inside the Touch, but there have been cases on the forum where people have been unable to restore their Touch, and were bricked.

I'm not sure if the DFU restore mode fixed this however?

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Odd, I've never heard of a single instance of this. Any links?

4. 156457 macrumors 6502

Really? I'll try and find some links now, they were usually posts on this forum or on TUAW or something, I'll do some searching :)

Well, I guess I worded my first post wrong, some users claimed they'd bricked their iPod Touches, but what really happened was they lost the ability to restore, however I can confirm that a DFU did fix this, so in conclusion, no, you're iPod will be fine and there's a 0.1% it will become inoperable jailbreaking it.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=448985&highlight=ipod+touch+brick
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=446558&highlight=ipod+touch+recognize

They're all the links I can find of users claiming to have trashed their iPod Touches.

5. dagored macrumors 65816

Please, list them. It can not be bricked. Bricked means dead, not fixable, etc. If someone is claiming there Touch is BRICKED:

1. They know nothing about JBing
    2. They have not read all the posts on how to restore
    3. They should not dabble into any type of computer programming
    4. They should not be permitted to drive a car (they apparently can no read)

6. thesdx macrumors 6502a

Jailbreaking is completely harmless. If something goes wrong, you can always restore by doing this:

1. Turn off your touch.
    2. Plug it in while holding down the home button.
    3. Release home button when Connect to iTunes symbol appears.
    4. Click "Restore" in iTunes.

7. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

Out of interest (as I had a bit of a panic when I had a go at JB'ing my touch recently and it failed) - I had to reboot my touch in restore mode 6-8 times to get iTunes to not throw an error when I connected it to the Mac. Is that normal for a failed JB?