Jailbreak post 3.1 release question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Octane19, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Octane19 macrumors member

Hey guys. I'm new to the new jailbreak community and I recently jailbroke my 3g via redsn0w. Loving it so far. No probs at all, but I have a couple questions. I backed up before I jailbroke just in case. However everything seemed to be working fine and I went and sync'd as I normally do. It created another backup. That just contains my info., songs, podcasts, and stuff like that right? So the new backup that is jailbroken won't affect my future restores. Also, what will I need to do when 3.1 is released. Assuming 3.1 gets cracked :p. I would just restore my iPhone via iTunes which would give me 3.1 and then restore my back up after that to get my info., songs, and such back? Would I lose all of my jailbreak apps on the switch? I'm assuming I would. Thanks alot guys for the help, look forward to hearing from ya.

2. jason221 macrumors 6502

Doing "Restore From Backup" only restores your contacts, text messaging history, settings, and maybe some other data, but I don't think it restores songs, apps, and videos. Those you just sync back to your phone through iTunes. Remember not to sync your iPhone before you restore it from a backup, though, because it'll back it up again while syncing, which will clear the previous backup containing the data you wanted to get back and replace it with the data on your newly restored phone (which is no data because you just restored it!).

Yes, you have to reinstall all jailbroken apps after you upgrade.