Jailbreak question from new iPad owner

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by kntgsp, Aug 30, 2010.

1. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

I just picked up a 16GB ipad from my Apple Store and it still has 3.2.1 on it.

Before I jailbreak it, do I need to run TinyUmbrella to grab the SHSH blobs? I already made a backup in iTunes and it didn't ask me to upgrade to 3.2.2, but I am somewhat unsure whether I need to grab any other backups before running it through jailbreakme.com

I still use an iPhone 3G, so I never had to deal with SHSH blobs and what not when downgrading that from 4.0.1 to 3.1.3

EDIT: I ran TinyUmbrella and it grabbed the shsh blob, but I'm somewhat curious.

For my device that's connected it says X's iPad - iPad3G 3.2.1 (7B405)

But the shsh it grabbed is listed as iPad 3.2.2 (7B500). Is the shsh backup supposed to have the next firmware number? The photos of TinyUmbrella I've seen seem to imply so, was just curious though.

2. T4R06 macrumors 65816

just jailbreak it first. jailbreakme.com
    then make my life easier.

do not update to 3.2.2

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can't save SHSH for 3.2.1 any longer because Apple has stopped signing them. Tinyumbrella can only save the SHSH for the current firmware, which it does regardless of what firmware is actually on your iPad. You should be fine unless you are forced to restore. If that happens, I'm afraid you won't be able to rejailbreak until the next jb is released, probably after ios 4 for iPad is released.

4. kntgsp thread starter macrumors 6502a

TinyUmbrella seemed to run successfully though when I ran it for the iPad. It gave me the standard SHSH backup successful, blah blah.

Meh, oh well.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, it saved SHSH successfully - for 3.2.2.

SHSH signatures are generated by Apple each time it receives a query. Tinyumbrella (and "make my life easier" on Cydia) works by sending the query to Apple, then saving the SHSH sig that Apple sends back. But Apple only sends sigs for the current firmware. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to get the sigs for older firmware that Apple is no longer signing.

Does that clear things up?

6. kntgsp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Indeed. Appreciated.