Jailbreak question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Andrew83Ga, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Andrew83Ga macrumors regular

I'm on a mac, and while I'm in no real rush, this will be my first jailbreak and I've been waiting to try the whole thing out. If I install windows 7 on here and jailbreak it using that, do I have to use windows every time i want to do something with the phone? I've also never used (not sure if I'm even using the right terminology...used?...ran?...) boot camp, so I'm not sure how much of an ordeal it is. Having said all that, I can wait for the mac release, but if doing it in windows is painless, I'l just go ahead and do it. I have nothing to do allllll day.

Thanks!

2. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Limera1n and greenpois0n are both reliable jailbreaks. I have used limera1n and it is extremely easy. I'm a Mac user but do have Windows at work. Limera1n is a standalone .exe file that does not go through Windows installer. You could put it on a USB drive, take it to a friend's Windows machine and run it from the USB drive. Upgrade to 4.1 using iTunes, then use limera1n to jailbreak. Your friend's computer won't have anything installed on it. If you have smart friends who realize the superiority of Mac and none have Windows :) , then take your USB drive and iPhone with cable to Best Buy and jailbreak when no one's looking :) Now I'd really like to see that. That would be funny.

3. Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm happy that someone finally replied. Thank you, I'll just use my dad's crappy netbook. Does he have to have itunes 10 on it? OR Does the phone get the jailbreak, and then I sync it to iTunes on my mbp? Like I said...first time jailbreaker here. Thanks again for your reply!

4. idevSteve macrumors member

There are many guides out for both jailbreak tools at this point. After you jailbreak you can restore from backup to sync all of your previous settings on your MBP.