Jailbreak question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by meds, Oct 15, 2010.

1. meds macrumors newbie

I've seen quite a bit of discussion regarding the new limera1n release, which works on the iPhone 4 if you have 4.1 installed, and have a question. I've never jailbroken an iPhone before.

Some of the blog posts I've read talk about the newest hack being a "hardware" modification or a change to the "boot rom". I have no idea what this means, but it seemed to suggest that the latest jailbreak method will now be immune to future OS updates from Apple.

Can anyone clarify for me whether or not this is true? I regularly grab OS updates and don't want to do the jailbreak if Apple's pending 4.2 update will simply "un-jailbreak" my device.

Thanks guys.

2. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

You can jailbreak your iPhone 4 iOS 4.1 using either limera1n or greenpios0n.

3. meds thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. However, if I subsequently update the firmware to 4.2 via iTunes does the jailbreak go away / will I lose my JB aps?

thanks.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, thats how its always been.
    Each time you restore or update you lose your JB and JB packages.
    Then if there's a JB available for 4.2 for example you JB again and install all your things back.

5. meds thread starter macrumors newbie

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

I'm not going to go into great detail on this again. It's not a hardware modification, they are exploiting a hole in the bootrom. Apple can not fix this hole without a hardware update. This also doesn't guarantee future jailbreaks since the iboot CAN be patched and that's where the JB takes place. Yes, when you are jailbroken you have to wait for the tools to do the update to new firmwares, so if you have to update as soon as a new firmware comes out then JBing is not for you.

Anytime you update via itunes you lose your JB.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You can get better understanding of the tems used here: Jailbreaking FAQ and commonly use terminology, + Guides

The Bootrom exploit it is not a "hardware" thing, it is still software, but it is just Read Only, so the only way to fix it (by Apple) is replacing the actual Memory Chip (hardware).