Jailbreak question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ravensfan55, May 25, 2010.

1. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

So right now I have a jailbroken 3G. I plan on getting a 4G/HD/whatever the new one is when it comes out. I assume that all my jailbroken apps sync when I sync with my MBP, so will I have to set up my new phone as a new phone and then manually add all my contacts and apps, or can I use my 3G restore point?

2. Zell84 macrumors member

You're wrong in assuming your Jailbroken Apps sync through iTunes. Only the Apps which you've purchased through Apple's App Store will sync. I'm not certain but I believe there are ways of saving your JB'd app data through SSH. There's a couple of threads on this forums about that.

3. ravensfan55 thread starter macrumors 6502

So theoretically I could use the last backup I make on my 3G to set up when I get the new one on iDay, even though the 3G backup is of a jailbroken phone?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

3G firmware will not go onto a new 4th generation phone.

If you mean sync back your apps, music, contacts, calendar, photos, movies, using iTunes, yes. Using PkgBackup, even Cydia apps can be restored with one button.

5. Zell84 macrumors member

Has pkgBackup worked well for you? I've noticed it doesn't work so well with other people? How about with Spirit?

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Every report of PkgBackup I have ever read has been positive and every time I have used it, it has worked 100%.

There are some free apps which I have used which totally screwed up my file system requiring a restore.

I haven't used Spirit, I have been jailbroken on 3.1.2 via Pwnage Tool for a long time.