Jailbreak Questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sammyman, Nov 12, 2010.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I jailbroke my iphone right when the first release was available. I have refused to update firmware or iTunes since then, and now there are major updates to both iTunes and the iPhone. Is it safe to update iTunes or the firmware on my phone?

I currently have iTunes 9.2.1 and iPhone 4.0.1

Thanks

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes it is. Since you have a Mac (from your sig.), you can use the newest PwnageTool to upgrade to 4.1

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

How can I make sure to not lose my apps on my iPhone in the "upgrade". Also, you said 4.1 is safe, but what about 4.2?

4. xela24678 macrumors regular

4.2 isn't safe since it is a new update. it will terminate your jailbreak. try to avoid it

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

For itunes programs, make sure you're signed into your account and re-download your programs. For jailbreak, use either pkgbackup or aptbackup. I haven't used either because I write down the programs I've used.
    4.2 also has a new baseband. Considering there's no unlock for the 4.1 baseband, you'll be lucky if there'll be an unlock for 4.2 anytime soon.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

4.2 is not officially released yet, so nothing from the jb community will come until is released by :apple: ;)

You can update iTunes and still leave your iPhone w/ 4.01 no problem.... You can also use PwnageTool to update to 4.1 your iPhone also, but I recommend you update iTunes only and wait for the jb of 4.2 that will most likely come in november...